Christor

Seeds sprouted!

So I had planted carrots, onion, sweet peppers and tomatoes, of varying species all in my trays, all planted on the 27th July, now all but one species of carrot has sprouted, the onions and both peppers showing no signs, however the tomatoes have grown maybe 7cm since last night, was astounded as before bed they hadnt moved

Now I'm wondering what should I do and where to place them, my own bedroom window gets light but not direct light, and the little sprouts have bent slightly trying to get to the light

we have a large patio door that is facing south so gets sun all day really would this be safe setting them against it? temps slightly cooler as its a bigger room

also what watering regime should I use? the seeds are mixed together also between some that sprouted and some havent, should I concentrate more on those that have sprouted?

thanks in advance, Chris

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations on getting all those seeds to sprout! But I'm not sure about the now what to to do with them.

I don't know much about the climate in Ireland, but where I live July is way too late to be starting most of those. I start pepper seeds late Jan and tomato seeds mid Feb for planting out in the garden sometime after mid april when danger of frost is past. So I'm eating ripe tomatoes and peppers from the garden now and have been since early July. But that means more or less 5 months from planting the seeds to harvesting. Do you have five months left before frost comes back? I don't.

Onions can be transplanted into the ground later and left to winter over and you can harvest onions from them next year.

None of these will survive with no direct light. Your south facing window would be good as long as they are an inch or two away for air circulation.

If the sprouted and unsprouted seeds are all together in pots, just water the pot. They need to stay damp, but not too wet. Overwatering is the biggest killer of seeds and seedlings. Hope this helps some.

Christor

Thanks! as for growing its more a "can I actually grow them" more than anything else, I'm aware of how late I'm planting but these plants will mostly be kept indoors or in containers in controlled environments, pkanting begins next season I hope when I have my Garden ready

thanks for the help was just wanting to check what to do with them now in terms of light and water make sure I'm not killing them :)

FlowerPowerGirl

By that patio door sounds good. Outside would be better. They need sunlight. Growing takes a lot of energy. If two plants are growing close together then I cut off the smaller one. It sounds cruel but the two root systems strangle each other if they grow together. Sometimes I can separate them but it's risky to do that.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Do not place them in strong sunlight too soon. Give them a little then move them. Make sure they have some shade or cover. Too much hot direct sun will burn them up. Keep and eye on them and decrease/increase sun based on what you see.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”