cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

potato question

So I was going about the garden, found some what looked to be dead potato plants figured maybe its time to pull them up. Get ready for the fall garden.
Well when I pulled the first one up, my husband and I both laughed! There were marble sized potato's on it. Hearing the roots rip as I pulled it out I knew I couldn't just plop it back into the ground but the husband asked a good question.

Can I put those baby potato's into the ground and will they grow new plants?
:shock:
Hubby has awesome ideas every once in a while :)

I have no pics of them as I wasn't expecting anything! But there are about 4 and they are marble sized. Toss them or attempt to replant them?

nofeargardener

I'd personally replant them. You may be surprised at what you get. A buddy and I once harvested some reds from a large bed on the side of his house. We dug through the bed 3 or 4 times. We were certain we didn't miss a single little spud. But sure enough... we must've missed a marble or two because much to our surprise, new plants came up.

You may not get a big harvest from them, but I personally wouldn't throw them away. :D

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I will plop them in the ground then!! Thank you!! Hmm... really wanted to plant spinach there... eh, I got room!

Thanks! Heard rumors that taters are "hard to get rid of" they always seem to come back I hear, so I guess it cant hurt right?!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Don't plant them where you pulled them up, if you do. They will probably come up, but generally those very small potatoes produce plants that don't produce very many potatoes of good size, occationally they will. One problem is that they just stopped growing and most potatoes prefer a period of dormancy before they will sprout again and grow. They may just chose to rot, or they may come up in the spring where you plant them now or just wait until October. There is no way of telling. If you plant them put them somewhere that isn't going to take away from your fall garden, then whatever happens, happens.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Good advice... I think I will just plop them in an empty spot that I sorta let the pumpkin take over. That way if they stay dormant the pumpkin wont disturb them and I can wait and see!

Thanks!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

If you heard the roots rip- it's most likely that there are some larger potaotes buried in the dirt! Go do some hunting around before you replant them ;) :D

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

:shock:

Hmmm.... I was gunna wait until this weekend to root around again and probably pull up the plants... now you got me wanting to go out there and do it now!

I will wait until this weekend, it will be 3 weeks since my last tater harvest and the plants should be good and done by then.... :roll:
that is if I can wait until then....

SPierce
Greener Thumb

cherishedtiger wrote::shock:

Hmmm.... I was gunna wait until this weekend to root around again and probably pull up the plants... now you got me wanting to go out there and do it now!

I will wait until this weekend, it will be 3 weeks since my last tater harvest and the plants should be good and done by then.... :roll:
that is if I can wait until then....
:D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”