john gault
Green Thumb

Red vs. Green Jalapenos?

Couple questions about Jalapeno peppers.

1. What's up with red jalapenos vs the normal green ones, I.e. as far as taste/hottness is concerned?

2. If you want red jalapenos should you allow them to turn red on the vine, if not what do you look for when you pick them green?

3. I had a brownish-red jalapeno the other day, but I just composted it. However, I later read something that said they sometimes do turn brown; is that true?

OK, three questions... :wink:

mmmfloorpie

john gault wrote:Couple questions about Jalapeno peppers.

1. What's up with red jalapenos vs the normal green ones, I.e. as far as taste/hottness is concerned?

2. If you want red jalapenos should you allow them to turn red on the vine, if not what do you look for when you pick them green?

3. I had a brownish-red jalapeno the other day, but I just composted it. However, I later read something that said they sometimes do turn brown; is that true?

OK, three questions... :wink:
As far as I know, red jalapenos (like most peppers) are just a more ripe version of the green jalapenos. Again, from what I know, the longer you let a pepper ripen (change colour) the sweeter the taste becomes. Hope that helps.

soil
Greener Thumb

we prefer to pick all of our jalapenos(and all peppers for that fact) at the red stage. this gives more heat and the most important MORE FLAVOR!!!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My Jalapenos go through three stages, first is the bright green stage, then the very dark green/almost black stage with striations on the peppers, then the red stage.

I pick mine at all three stages because I mostly pickle them and it makes for a nice appearance in the jars. This year my jalapenos are some of the hottest I've grown and much different than what I harvested last year from my garden.

I made a King Ranch Chicken Casserole 2 days ago and when I cut up my Jalapenos for the dish I decided to eat about 1/4 of one of the peppers----I suffered for that.

john gault
Green Thumb

I threw a green one in my salad last night, they're pretty hot.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”