Suellyn
Newly Registered

My new tomato plants - How to care for?

So these are my plants started from seeds. I just recently transplanted a few into a larger pot and hope this helps the root to get deeper. Any suggestions?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If you pot them up again, which I am assuming you are going to I would suggest using a self-watering pot if you can to keep them evenly moist in a subtropical climate like yours. When you do mix a little fertilzer into the soil, but make sure that it is higher in the middle number and lowest in the first number if possible. At that time remove the lowest 2 or three leaves and plant it even deeper. This last time make sure the pot is full of soil so that their is plenty of room for it to grow. Put some kind of support for the plant in the container and tie it up to it. Remove all the suckers (the leaves or stems that grow between leaves and the main stalk). If you don't have access to a self-watering pot try to make sure that you keep it evenly watered. From this point on treat it like you would if it were planted directly into the ground.

Suellyn
Newly Registered

Thanks a million. I just had them growing now for about 2 months and they seemed dormant. I wasn't sure if I was being impatient or not doing something right. I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to keep showing it's progress. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Something's not happening right... Two month old tomato plants would ordinarily be around two feet tall, hefty and bushy.

Your tomato plants look lost down at the bottom of a deep well and totally shaded. Put them in a pot that you fill to the top with soil so the plant sits up out of the pot. Put them in a sunny spot. I can't tell what kind of soil it is in; does the soil have nutrients?

This

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12209&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

has a picture of what my tomato seedlings looked like a month after the seeds were planted (indoors). They grow a LOT more in the following month.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I agree with Rainbow.

Another thing does that pot have drainage holes? You would be better to put that in a smaller pot that is full that leaving it in that pot. Best thing would be to fill that pot up to the top with good soil.

When upotting they always seem to take off rather quickly growing to their new larger environment and the fresh soil that has been added to the larger pot.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Suellyn wrote:I just recently transplanted a few into a larger pot
I recommend that you put each plant in a separate pot. That way, the roots won't be competing for space and nutrients. :)

Suellyn
Newly Registered

That's the weird thing, these as well as the ones planted in ground don't seem to be moving. The ones in the pot have great drainage and I fertilized twice so far. I water everyday and they get at least 6-8 hours of full sun per day. I read that they should be much bigger by now but the ones in the ground are no different and have been growing for an even longer time (more like 3 - 4mths!). :cry:

At least my other plants are doing ok. Cantaloupe has fruit in less than 4mths so it can't be the soil can it?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For sure, something is not happening right. Your plants at 4 months should be BIG and bushy and have flowers and small tomatoes on them.

You say they are getting almost full sun and in decent soil and fertilized. That leaves me wondering about weather conditions and water. I know you said "great drainage," but sometimes that is hard to tell. The commonest thing that would cause that kind of stunting would be that the roots are waterlogged. If there's too much water around the roots, they can't get oxygen and can't uptake nutrients. If that persists, the roots will rot.

I would dig one of the in ground ones up (you don't have much to lose, if they haven't done anything by now, they aren't likely to), gently, digging up a dirt ball with it, so you don't break the roots off. Shake or gently wash the dirt off the roots and see what is going on. Also check the dirt in the hole you left, see how wet it is. The roots should be extensive, well branched, firm and white. If not, you have located your problem.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”