ruggr10
Green Thumb

Am I the only one that dislikes the smell of tomatoes?

I love tomatoes.. I'm growing 49 plants in my garden for 2 and a half people... I can eat them all day with one exception.... I hate the smell of tomato plants. I have to wash all tomatoes and my hands before eating any. This is a pain in the butt since I'd love to eat cherry tomatoes right off the plant.

Is this weird or is anyone else like that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just plain weird! :) I love the smell of tomato plants and tomatoes right off the vine. I pull them and just sniff them for awhile.

gardenbean

I have to agree with Rainbow. I love the smell of tomato plants. They always remind me of summer mornings and all of the things that come along with summer :lol:

2cents
Green Thumb

we are all made a little different and you and rainbow sound like the two extremes.
I like to rinse my tomatoes, but nothing wrong with biting a wet one in the garden.
I do suggest a clothes pin tomorrow morning.

soil
Greener Thumb

when I'm working with them for a while the smell annoys me. cant say I actually like the smell of the plants, but don't hate it either.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I actually just started noticing the smell as I've been handling my tomatoes more-- I actually rather like the smell, but the smell is pretty hand-clingy! I go to sleep with it, and wake up with it still there in the morning!'

Surprised I haven't gotten green hands yet :)

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

I love the smell for the simple fact that it takes me back to when I was a little girl and I used to tag along after dad when he worked in his garden.

mmmfloorpie

Father's Daughter wrote:I love the smell for the simple fact that it takes me back to when I was a little girl and I used to tag along after dad when he worked in his garden.
I've heard the smell is a defense against animals eating them.

Jeffross1968

mmmfloorpie wrote:
Father's Daughter wrote:I love the smell for the simple fact that it takes me back to when I was a little girl and I used to tag along after dad when he worked in his garden.
I've heard the smell is a defense against animals eating them.
Someone please tell my mice that :lol:

bird dog

The strong smell most likely is a defense for some animals but deer in our area will take them to the ground if they can get to them.

mattie g
Green Thumb

I actually kind of like the smell of the plants, as well as of a nice ripe, unsliced tomato.

But as soon as I smell a sliced tomato I get a little queasy. And the taste of a raw tomato - forget it!

mmmfloorpie

I could eat tomatoes every day too...

But 49 plants worth? That's insane!

shadowsmom

I don't mind the smell. What bothers me is the plants make me itch. Every time I work around tomato plants I get a rash on my arms and hands. It's not bad enough to stop me from growing them. :)

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Yeah, I know, 49 plants is too much. All my seeds germinated and I gave tons away. I have about 16 types growing. At farmers markets I added a few more that looked cool. I can't help myself.

I can eat them all day... but I don't like to touch the plants...

I'm................. special.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

ruggr10 wrote:I love tomatoes.. I'm growing 49 plants in my garden for 2 and a half people... I can eat them all day with one exception.... I hate the smell of tomato plants. I have to wash all tomatoes and my hands before eating any. This is a pain in the butt since I'd love to eat cherry tomatoes right off the plant.

Is this weird or is anyone else like that?
Taking you off the Christmas list right this minute. :lol:

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I enjoy the smell of tomatoes and tomato plants... But, I do not like the smell of over-ripe tomatoes.
Once they are past their prime, I think they have a "sickly sweet" smell ... pew!!!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I could do without the smell and mess. I put handling tomato plants in the same catagory as cleaning fish, a necessry evil. At least the green goo washes off fairly easily.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I love the strong fragrance of tomato plants. It takes me back to summers at Grandma's. What a grandmother ! How wealthy I was ! And now, rich in memories....

RyNJ
Cool Member

I love everything about tomatoes, including the smell! I thought this was really cool, last weekend I went to a wine tasting at a local vineyard, and one of their reds had a beautiful tomatoey note. It was like the smell of tomato and tomato plants had been transformed into a flavor in the wine. Not overpowering like you were drinking tomato juice or something, just SO GOOD! It was one of their more expensive ones, but once payday comes around, I'm gonna be back. :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”