john gault
Green Thumb

Do any of you'll serve up drinks? (bird bath)

I have a "bird bath" under my live oak, but not many birds use it. Some of the most common users (that drink, not bathe) are squirrels, followed by lizards, but I also see a lot of paper wasps drink from it.

What do you'll see drinking from your water sources?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

My neighbor's honey bees all along the edge of my duck pond.

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I get tons of birds in mine and the deer will drink it down at night as well.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Dragonflies. Sometimes butterflies.

If you want more birds, try moving it somewhere with 1) more dappled light on it, and 2) a shrubby perch right next to it. Birds won't recognize it as water all that easily if they don't see some reflection of light in it. And a lot of them want some cover so they can sneak up on it.

john gault
Green Thumb

thanrose wrote:Dragonflies. Sometimes butterflies.

If you want more birds, try moving it somewhere with 1) more dappled light on it, and 2) a shrubby perch right next to it. Birds won't recognize it as water all that easily if they don't see some reflection of light in it. And a lot of them want some cover so they can sneak up on it.
That makes sense, since it is in probably the darkest part of my yard. Trying to find a good assortment of shade-loving colorful plants to brighten up this heavily shaded/mulched area.

pickupguy07

Many folks don't know but there are "different" types of bird baths... some have steep sides, and are 'kind of' deep. Others have gently sloping sides and can be shallow.

Birds do not like a bath that slopes off suddenly. Birds like to get in the dry area, and kind of 'wade' into the water a little at a time. I had one with steep sides, and like you I had few birds use it. I changed to the shallow one, and have birds in it all the time...
SO might give that some consideration also...

FUnny when I water my yard... they seem to come from all directions, and hop around in any puddles in the yard.. and with it being so hot will just 'stand' there as the water showers down on them

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes Pickupguy is right; I put some rocks in mine so little birds have something to stand on.

shadylane
Green Thumb

There are two bird baths in the garden area. A deep large, and a shallow one which is used from the smaller birds. I also keep a extra large terra cotta plant base on the ground for small animals.
They are in the shade, and tend to become green on the bottom. I use a little bleach and a scrub brush to clean them when this occurs. This helps in keeping the birds healthy. On very hot days I refreash the water twice a day.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”