mikesmomferrell

pole beans

I have grown bush beans in years past, mainly hericot verts, but last year was terrible, so have switched to pole beans for the first time..so do not know alot about them. I've had lots of leaves and flowers but not alot of beans. We've had super hot weather lately (St. Louis) as so many people have...is that the reason why no beans ?

pickupguy07

I'm no expert.. this is my first garden also.
My beans have done well, and we've had much the same weather as you...
All I've done is fertilize now and then and water (with an oscillating sprinkler) about 3 hours once a week.
I also used straw to mulch around my plants to help keep in moisture

So far so good. Many someone with a lot of experience can chime in and tell us more.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Why the second person has had good luck it the sprinkler, it effectively lowers the temps around the plants so they can set, cannery farmers have used that trick in August for years. They water in the early afternoon for a period of time, but they have wells and the practice is very wasteful of water. Pole beans don't set well when they are too hot or when they aren't watered well. If you have the room you might try short days (55-58 day) bush beans as a fall crop. Count back about 65 days from your average frost date and plant then or a week earlier. Things grow more slowly as the days get shorter. Plant them a little deeper and make sure the ground is well watered in first.

pickupguy07

yep.. you caught me. I'm on a well so water is no problem.
I water when the sun is going down and not in the afternoon so as not to scald the plants.

mikesmomferrell

thank you for the replys on the pole beans. I think I'm not getting alot of beans because it is so terribly hot here in St. Louis. So like tomatoes, they are not setting fruit. Oh well, you live and learn.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”