Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes loaded wih flowers and new growth!

I am thinking my urea I threw on the ground before a rain put alot of nitrogen into the soil and my tomatoes are going wild. I do see some tomatoes on the stocks but they are sall. I am thinking of cutting the suckers off after they get their fist set of flowers does anyone have any suggestions?? The plants are huge and look very healthy! My tomatoes under my black plasti are also looking good!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Getting some tomatoes on the flowers. It seems that one in 5 flowers gets a tomato on some of the clusters! I have decided to cut the top above some of the sets of flowers even on the main stocks since there are 6 main strong stocks or more on ech plant. I guess some suchers should go soI cut the sucker the same way above the first or second set of flowers. What do some of you think about this problem?

bradatronic
Newly Registered

I am growing a few plants on my patio and they are doing really well. I am also considering cutting away the new growth to support the tomatoes that are now growing on the plant. I do know that the vast majority of the plants energy is dedicated to new growth. I am wondering if I risk killing the plants if I cut to much away?...I might go ahead and try one or two out and get back to the forum in a weeks tims with results. :?: :?: :?:

MaryDel

Too much nitrogen on Tomatoes causes them to produce leaves at the expense of fruit. I fertilize sparingly 10-10-10, at planting time, and then use 5-10-10 after the plant is about 3 feet tall or has set 3 or 4 clusters of fruit.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”