applestar
Mod

New*What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

I'm starting a new one since the old one got rather long....

Yesterday, we had a sunny day with high of 79°F :shock: Over 80 in the sun. We were in short sleeves and sweating. Tonight's overnight low temp forecast is 31°F. Predictably, it's supposed to get REALLY windy today.

And the huge system I've been watching sweep across the radar maps has arrived just a few minutes ago -- I was looking for sunrise and was thinking the light quality was odd... Like just before a thunderstorm in the summer, and BAM!

RAIN RAIN RAIN. I can't even see out the southwestern window now. :o

I can't decide if I should have planted the package of seed potatoes that came yesterday or it's better to wait until after this cold snap. Oh well. :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've been waiting and waiting for this warm up we were supposed to get. Yesterday was weird, warm and thunderstorms. Felt more like summer. We got most of an inch of rain, most of which came down in one 20 min period. And windy

My tomatoes were out in it, but they were under a glass topped patio table with row cover wrapped around the sides, so did ok. They came back in last night because it got down almost to freezing again. Today will be cloudy and windy and 50 and the tomatoes will stay in. Tomorrow the warm up finally comes, a week later than first predicted and it will be 67 and partly cloudy. The tomatoes will go back out and probably some other stuff.

Tomatoes ordinarily wouldn't be the first thing to go out, they just outgrew their space...

Rogue11

After two above average (85°F+) days Thursday and Friday it cooled down to high 70s over the weekend, but the system coming through didn't bring the expected rain, just clouds. Yesterday it was up to almost 85°F again and starting today it is supposed cool down about 10 degree the day until it hits about 53°F on Thursday then go up again. The nights are between 45°F on clear nights and high 50s when it is overcast.
I don't remember it being this 'unstable' over the past years. The constant up and down in temps seems to confuse my seedlings (and me) :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the last thread was getting rather long Applestar. Yesterday was pretty warm, low 80's, with winds picking up all day long. Last night the temperatures dropped dramatically for this time of year as a front came through and it is only 60 right now on my back porch at 8:40 a.m. Yesterday morning at this time, it was in the mid 70's.

I'm going to enjoy this break since it is likely the last of the year for us. Only thing is, it didn't bring the heavy rain that was expected with this front so I'll need to water later today. I actually slept with a light blanket on last night since I fell asleep with the windows open and 25+ gusts of wind out of the north dropped the inside temperature to near 60.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Yesterday it was nice and overcast. High 80's low 70's.
Humidity was terrible.
Today it's going to have thunderstorms all day.
Humidity still high.

ozark_rocks

Yesterday was cold and very, very windy. We had a heavey frost and freeze last night, 31 in the greenhouse :evil: , 27 on the porch.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

A high wind warning is in effect, as it was yesterday, as it probably will be tomorrow. The forecasters would save time if they would post a "No Wind" advisory on the rare wind-free days instead :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

we're experiencing high winds almost daily and have since the beginning of March. We're also running air conditioning.

applestar
Mod

Uh huh. March/April Winds -- That's what I like to call "Mary Poppins weather". Keep your eyes open for the parrot handled umbrella and the carpet bag. 8)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

was 80 on monday, last night it hit about 27 and seriously zapped the pear trees, which have been blooming for a couple of days...didn't have time before leaving for work to check how my makeshift frost-protection helped (if at all)...glad the blueberry flowers hadn't popped yet. the honeyberries seem to be sailing through the occasional spring frosts unscathed.

back near 80 by sunday, say the forecasts.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We had the wettest March in eleven years. Standing water between the raised beds. :(

When I started south of Seattle this morning I heard we had snow in Marysville. When I went through, no snow, but very wet.

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

We had a couple nice days, sunny and warmish, but today a big old thunderboomer came through the area. Typical of the spring weather where I live. Tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be nice, and then rain again. :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We're settling into our summer pattern. Highs in the high 80s for now, lows in the mid 60s. We have thunder showers in the forecast nearly every day. Monday we're supposed to hit 92. If anything is going to cause me to stop gardening it's the heat. It comes earlier, stays later and is more severe in July and August.

Last year we did an hour outside and 30 minutes inside. When the lows at night remain in the mid to high 80s it's time for me to say goodnight Gracie.

lorax
Greener Thumb

We're settling into our short winter spell right now - highs around 20-25 C and overnight lows around 10, and rain rain rain will it ever freakin' stop raining? It's currently overcast and about 22 C, and guess what? We're in for more rain this afternoon! :shock:

Bleh. Of course, this is also the season that my irises choose to bloom profusely, but if I don't get to them before they get rained on, they're shot for table flowers - wet irises smell like cat pee. :evil:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It snowed at my house last night! :cry:
Good in the mountains but not here as I am getting spring fever and started planting bulbs.

Canadian Farmer Guy

lorax wrote: It's currently overcast and about 22 C, and guess what? We're in for more rain this afternoon! :shock:
Count your blessings.
Up here its 2 degrees Celsius and raining.
I'd take your weather over mine any day.

I love Canada, but her weather can be unpleasant.
I miss the sun.

Now I have to go put more wood in the fireplace.
And find a sweater.

Blasted cold!

CFG

lorax
Greener Thumb

I believe I may have mentioned that I'm from northern Alberta originally. I know when I've got it good.

That said, it's still raining and my plant pots are floating away down the street - I'd better go catch 'em. :()

krzyk4
Cool Member

Good ol northern Alberta! We are finally getting some sun that has turned the 3 feet of snow in my yard into about 1 foot so fast that everyone has flooding basements. It got to 6 celcius I think, but snow is in the forecast this week! At least I have a nice warm and sunny mudroom to start my seeds :D

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

close to 80's for a few days now - except for a brief period on saturday where we got a major dumping of HUGE hail on us. variably sized - up to a bit bigger in diameter than a quarter, piled up about two inches deep. a lot of the stuff I had out hardening off were evidently not hard enough, 'cause they got straight-up pulped. lost little branches (and lots of flowers and developing fruit) on many fruit bushed/trees...

ouch.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Mid 80's here in New Orleans with lots of sun today. I'll get the grass cut and trimmed early today to avoid the hottest part of the day because I have other gardening duties to perform. Summer weather is fast approaching :cry:

Canadian Farmer Guy

lorax wrote:I believe I may have mentioned that I'm from northern Alberta originally. I know when I've got it good.

That said, it's still raining and my plant pots are floating away down the street - I'd better go catch 'em. :()
Hmmm... I suppose we all have our challenges.

Try tying ropes to your pots.
You could have a "floating garden".

Hang in there!

CFG

GardenNut101

It's cold here. Cold wind, no sun. Too early to get hanging baskets and troughs started.

Still - am enjoying the primroses, tulips and bluebells while I'm waiting to get everything else started.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The peas, lettuce, radish, are all up. Crab apple bonsai are blooming. Its been raining like mad. Again.

And, I hope every mole in my backyard DROWNS! ;)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It has been rainning so hard it is crazy.
Snow on Mt. Hood and we got over 550" this year up there so there should be water for the farmers this summer.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's wet. Not much else to say. Backyard looks like a lake. :(

GardenNut101

Well we've suddenly got summer! It's 22 degrees and I've had to water all the winter pansies that are wilting in all the heat. Kids have even had to put suncream on - amazing 8)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's decent weather here today. Backyard is back to normal. Overcast skies, about 55º F. I think I'm gonna go run some errands. Too nice to stay in front of the computer. (They say there might be a sighting of the sun tomorrow! :lol: )

applestar
Mod

It was 80+...°F here. Forecast low tomorrow night is 37°F, which puts the actual likely temp at 34 or 35. :roll:

Chaesman

The last 12 days or so has been wet to say the least we have recieved 14 plus inches of rain and the levees on the mississippi are flowing over in spots and about to in others. the river levels have gotten so bad that about 30 miles south of us the Blew a Hole in a levee to flood about 137,000 acers of farm land + 100 homes :( . accually felt like and earth quake when it was blown last night 2 more explossions due to happen today.
Here is the footage of the blast done late last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPqnjPF3Vc&feature=channel_video_title

Today looks clear for a change so I am planning on getting out in the garden a little later to see the damage. *** Just a note even with all the rain my soil drains so fast the garden never flooded over.

Jon

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's actually trying to rain right now for the first time in several weeks. I'm getting small sprinkles then nothing, but the potential is there by looking at the sky.

We've been going through a bit of a dry spell and it has led to me having to water the garden more than I usually have to this time of year. We've also been getting a lot of gusting winds that also dry out the ground pretty quick.

I know what I'll do, I'll get a bucket, the hose, some detergent and a chamois and go wash and detail my truck. It is sure to rain then.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

OH yes; the sun is out and it will be about 70; I am going out side soon. :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The sun has been out for the second day in a row. More rain is in the forecast tho.

IMO warm enough (just barely) for tomato to harden off out of doors.

Anybody down stream from me in the shallower parts of the Mississippian watershed aught to pay attention to flooding warnings.

This was by report the third wettest April in SE-OH history. I can say for sure every local river, stream, and intermittant creek is full to the brim.

All this water is headed someplace...

nosta

Miserable :

High: 98°F
RealFeel: 107°F

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's 2 P.M. and only 63º outside. Overcast and rainy, the same as yesterday. It's supposed to be this way through Tuesday, when the sun should reappear and the temps should return to the mid 70s. Will summer ever arrive in Oregon this year? :(

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Kisal this rain is never going to stop; it calls for rain all week. I need to start roofing. The last two days I stayed in and worked on my music so I made the best of it.

TomC this was the 2nd wettest spring on record in Oregon and it is turning out to be a wet summer also. Wish we could share some with our Texas and Eastern friends.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Neighbor seems to have given up on his roof for now. He has part of it covered with what I think is now called roofing felt, but we used to call it tar paper. The rest is under a blue tarp. Poor guy!

I'm off to find my zip-front hoodie. It's downright cold today! :shock:

john gault
Green Thumb

I live here because of the weather; I don't mind the heat and love the mild winters. However, (and I hope this is very temporary) I've noticed that since the winter of 2009 that the cold days last longer, meaning months at a time. Use to be that we would experience a few cold snaps then the temps would recover and this cycle would repeat itself several times during the winter and then spring would spring.

However, starting in the winter of 2009 we experienced a very cold winter that killed my 6 ft tall hibiscus that previously had no problem surviving the winter. Since that first die-off it comes back every year, but won't grow more than 3 ft high before the extremely cold winter kills it again. :evil:

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's winter here, hence it's cloudy and rainy and bleh and chilly, only about 21 C at the peak of the day if we're very lucky, and currently about 18 C. Overnight it goes down to around 5 C.

Ugh, I can't wait for August and summer!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It's so hot my corn is sweating.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It may stop rainning this week end. WET WET RAIN AND MORE RAIN!!!!!! :?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”