kc gardener
Newly Registered

Plant identification

Tree, shrub, weed?????
Can anyone tell me what is growing in my garden? It came up as a volunteer and I thought it was just a weed, but it grew so fast, I thought I would see what it would do. It is now 6 feet tall, stalk its about 1" across, with palmate leaves, and little yellow flowers. It looks similar to some kind of sqash, but the blooms are too small and it is growing upright. I don't really want to cut it down without knowing what it is. I am in the Kansas City area.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! :)

Are the leaves furry? I'll bet it's Verbascum thapsus, commonly known as Great or Common Mullein.

What I have read says it isn't very invasive, but I find that not to be true in my case. I cut it down and tossed it on my cold compost pile. The pile is no longer in that location, but the doggone mullein is still sprouting there. :roll:

kc gardener
Newly Registered

Thanks for the input. I looked up Mullein, and that's not it, but good try with the info I gave. The leaves are a little furry and the leaves are pretty much heart shaped, but are as big as my hand. I thought it was a Catalpha tree until it flowered. If I could figure out how to download a pic I would.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Our Webmaster has provided instructions for posting images here:

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]

thanrose
Greener Thumb

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213660#213660[/url]

Could it be this one? If not, give us a pic or a lot more detail about the flower, and the leaves in particular.

kc gardener
Newly Registered

Problem solved!!! It is velvet leaf! I would have never guessed by the size that it could be an annual. After much searching with zero results, I finally came to the right place.
Thank you!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”