gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What garlic are you growing this fall?

With all this talk of garlic lately. Let's hash out what your favorites are and what you are wanting to try for next year. Explain why if you can.

I grew Music and Chesnok Red this year because they are very popular and I'm glad I did they did great. But as usual I want to try something different next year along with the seeding of my garlic from this year.

FarmersDaughter brought up a good point this is the time to be ordering they will sell out of the most popular variety's fast. Whoops maybe I shouldn't have said that. What I meant to say was, wait to the last minute you will be fine. I need to start shopping myself, for later in the year that is 8) :lol: :wink: :P

soil
Greener Thumb

along with the unknown heirloom garlics ill be growing. ill also have

Georgian cyrstal - great garlic, consistent every year. big cloves, taste is excellent, my fav of the garlics I know the names of. high on the list of all I have.

khabar - huge cloves, fat heads, deep, delicious garlic flavor

lorz italian - great for pesto and other italian dishes

kidwell - another good consistent garlic here.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Soil I was actually thinking about Georgian Fire which is suppose to be very similar.

I was doing some searching and it looks like Wegorwgralic.com is sold out already they were they same last year. I couldn't remember where I got mine but I did a search on here and found a post I made.

I got my garlic in Sep from https://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/boutique.htm just about everybody was sold out at this time. They have several farmers they send you to. It worked out very well.

mattie g
Green Thumb

I'd love to grow garlic (I'm a garlic fiend), but I have no idea when to plant and when it's supposed to be harvested. :?

I also don't have much room in my fairly small garden, so I wouldn't know where to put it!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Since so many of you mention music, that's definitely what I'm going to get for this fall. Maybe I'll have some real sized bulbs for the first time.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

orgoveg wrote:Since so many of you mention music, that's definitely what I'm going to get for this fall. Maybe I'll have some real sized bulbs for the first time.
Hey now! :P

I mentioned Music and it did great. A lot of people have great luck with it. Very tasty as well. I have not tried a whole of it yet. Getting ready to go make dinner and dry some out for powder and roast some. Mainly the ones that won't be good keepers for powder though.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I don't know yet. My Chesnok are too small to replant so I might try Music, and I want to get something with only a few huge cloves. Hardnecks only because the scapes are my favorite summer vegetable (and the first available).

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't notice any particular difference in flavor as we never eat straight garlic. Keeping up with all of the varieties has been a chore. So this year I just dumped all of the bulbs into one box. I'll save the biggest cloves of what appear to be various varieties, will plant and will make no effort to identify the type any longer. I'll likely buy fresh bulbs to renew my stock from time to time but even then will not keep up with the I.d. of those new bulbs. I guess this will be a kind of natural selection process where the plants or varieties that make the biggest/best storing bulbs end up dominating the next season's crop.

soil
Greener Thumb

and I want to get something with only a few huge cloves.
try the Georgian crystal. not the hugest heads in the world but even the small heads have big cloves. great stuff I highly recommend it.

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

I'm planting some of the German White and Music from this year's harvest, and I already put an order in for a pound each of German Red and Spanish Roja. Those reportedly won't keep as long as the Porcelains, so I won't be planting too much of them. Someone I know is attempting to grow Redneck this year and if he ends up with a decent harvest I might try to trade a few heads with him.

The two pounds were ordered from Sky Meadow Garlic Farm in NY. My initial seed stock was purchased in 2009 at the Garlic Festival in Bennington VT.

Ladybug027

This fall will be my first and I am planting California Soft neck since I found the bulbs on clearance at a local nursery and Music that I ordered from filareefarm.com. After reading all the good stuff on here about Music I had to try it and it is suppost to grow well here as well.

soil
Greener Thumb

I also forgot to mention I already planted a lot of my garlic. itl just sit there growing roots until early September and start growing like mad.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have planted Elephant Garlic for years. I will plant some of that again.

I am experimenting with some softneck that I just got at the grocery. It has done well for two years, and I may try that again. No variety name.

Someone at the farmer's market swapped me some hardneck last year. I planted that and the tops look good. I haven't harvested that yet. It will have to be evaluated before I decide if I will plant that again. No variety name.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the tip on the German Crystal!

Does anyone eat raw garlic? I see the flavor mentioned on most of the websites, but the handfull of times I have eaten raw garlic cloves they tie my stomach in knots for hours. I often chew on chunks of dried garlic and love pickled garlic, but the raw garlic makes for a bad day.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm going to plant German Extra Hardy and Music that I ordered from Fedco about a month ago after learning that some other companies were not taking any more orders. I won't get the bulbs until early October.

This is my first year to plant garlic so it will be both interesting and a garden experiment.

I've heard that Music is a long keeper from one place(10 months) and that German was a longer keeper from another place(10 months). Anyone care to comment on the keeping qualities of these two varieties?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

gardenvt Music is a porcelain type garlic they have outstanding keeping qualities. That is one reason I chose them for myself.

Here is a link about them well mainly the porcelain type but you will get the idea. This is great very informative site that is where I ordered mine from last year.

https://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/porcelains.htm

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Great link! Thanks!

ameliat

A conversation with a friend and this topic got me in the garlic buying mood and I am glad - I didn't realize so much would be sold out already! I am going to plant stock I am saving from this season - it was a softneck that did really well for me, but I can't remember the name.

I ordered Susanville and Burgundy from Hood River Organic - I am excited about growing these ( I picked Burgundy based on the color - maybe a bulb would make a cool Christmas centerpiece :lol: )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”