souki96

Climate problems with Fukien Tea

I'm worried now that my Fukien Tea is not getting the warmth it should. My room just doesn't heat up a lot and even after all the care I've provided for my bonsai, I'm starting to think that the problem is the temperature. Are there any products or methods I could use to keep my Tea a little warmer?

Sharp

Hang a Grow bulb light over it. That will raise the temp (be careful not to place it too close) and also will increase the sun levels. Make sure you are getting it enough humidity.

This is what I do for my fukien and its doing nicely.

souki96

Sharp,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have one more question. How do I handle humidity? Thanks for all the help :) also, what kind of fertilizer do you think I should use?

Sharp

I can't help much with the fertilizer sorry. I'll have to leave that up to the experts that frequent here.

But the humidity can be helped by daily mistings or a humidity tray underneath it. Personally I just use a humidity tray (a tray with water that evaporates) I live in an area where the harder mineral content of my water leaves deposites on the leaves. :)

Lillian192315
Newly Registered

Is there a good fartilizer to use with the Fukien Tea?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

It is not necessary to purchase expensive "bonsai fertilizer" to plants it makes little difference. I simply use common water soluble fertilizer mixed at the recommended strength. Choose a balanced (10-10-10 or 20-20-20) product unless your specific plant has any unusual requirements.

Some use a high N product in the spring to get their plants off to a good start (20-10-10). There are also acidifying fertilizers ( Miracid) that are made for plants like Azaleas or many evergreens.

Potted plants in general and bonsai in particular , due to their free draining soil, require regular fertilization when they are actively growing. If your plants are healthy and you are seeing new growth, with your tropicals now, fertilize them about every two weeks. Following the directions on the package of the product of your choice.

Sharp,

your humidity tray will be more effective if you use a layer of gravel in the bottom. This greatly increases the surface area from which the water will evaporate.

Norm

souki96

Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. Without you, I'm not sure my Fukien would be so strong right now. I bought fertilizer today and a humidity tray. I'm hoping this will also help it stay strong. Thanks for all the help :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”