hillybilly
Newly Registered

Lawnmower cleaning

Hello,

I was wondering how often and how do you clean your lawnmowers from grass?
Do you have ride-on or walk-behind lawnmowers?
Do you think it is relevant to clean lawnmowers?
I prefer using wood stick, but are there any other methods to do that?

Kind Regards for answering,

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not clean them that often, I use a stick mostly. One of my riding mowers has a hose attachment to clean it and it works fine. I use a push mower to get into places my riders do not reach and I use a 5 foot PTO driven mower behind my tractor for places away from the house when they get a bit to tall for a ridding mower. I have not had any rot problems with the decks if they get a bit dirty and if they are not to bad then air flow is not much of a problem. The big thing is when they get covered they clog easier.
I feel it is important to sharpen the blades and depending upon your usage perhaps one or two times a year.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Your deck will last longer without the crust of grass. And sharpening sure is important. If you do use a hose, I'd run it to dry it before storing.

HG

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Your deck will last longer without the crust of grass. And sharpening sure is important. If you do use a hose, I'd run it to dry it before storing.

HG
I'll second that. It is also not a good idea to cut grass when wet as it will stick a lot more to the deck and build up.

I've had mowers last for 10 or more years but I clean mine every time I use it. I'll take a cinder block and use it to weigh down the handle to the ground getting the front of the deck about a foot off the ground and hit the underside with my hose to was off debris.

I cut grass year round, just less often in the winter, maybe only 2 times a month. In the spring/summer, I need to cut at least once a week and if we are getting good rain, more often than that.

Part of my maintenance thing is change oil before heavy cutting season and in the early fall. I'll sharpen and balance the blades a couple times a year. If you store your lawnmower during the winter, be sure to put some fuel stabilizer in the tank to keep it from going bad and gumming up the carb. Stabyl (sp) works great for this. I'll use it in my chain saw, pressure washer, and other gas engines that don't get used as often.

I like plants

I don't really clean mine oftenly. Only when neede. I just hose the underside to remove all the grass clippings around the edges of the mower. Mine is a push mower and needs some attention. Lol.

Just clean your caburator once in a while otherwise the motor will act weird.

hillybilly
Newly Registered

What is the hardest part in cleaning your lawnmower??
Every time I do that I need a addional hands to clean it.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We take care of my father in law and he is 92 years old. He likes to mow the lawn as it gets him out side. The mower he uses has an automatic transmission and he can control the speed with his hand as his legs are not that good. The one he uses takes such a beating that I have gotten real good at working on it. I just changed the mower deck belt, sharpened, cleaned it and put on a new valve gasket. When the mower is not working right he nags me to work on it as he loves to mow. It helps as he mows around the house and this saves me time.

PS if you need to know how to pull you deck off your rider and work on it I will post the instructions; it is not that hard but there is an easy and a hard way to do it.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Maybe I should not have spoken as I may have jinks my self. Father in law decided to mow the side of the road; well his eyesight is not all that good and he ran over a big rock and broke one of the housings that holds the blade to the mower, the thing the pulley goes on. This is the second one he has broken. He is always running over things and such, well I am getting good at fixing mowers. :?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have to take the deck off again today, when he ran it broken an idler arm got chewed on and it now snapped in two. I hope the local hardware store has on. We have a True Value store in Sandy that has a ton of lawn mower parts I got the housing from them there.

Return to “Lawn Care”