newag

Why are my squash leaves fading in color?

I've noticed today that it seems as though my squash and zucchini leaves may be fading in their green color (the container ones, that is....the ground ones are okay.) Maybe its my imagination, but they do seem to be fading. Is this normal? I'm wondering if they are lacking something. Any ideas?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

how big are your containers? they may be getting root bound since they need a ton of room to spread

newag

Not terribly big......10" across.....I have already harvested one squash and the zucchini has one growing fruit on it, and hopefully tomorrow will have another one after it's pollinted. Okay, just lie to me if the container is too small. :cry: I can't bear to know that my beautiful plant may die because I didn't use a big enough pot. :oops: I will say the one in the ground is twice as big as the container ones, but I figured that was obviously due to the container. But, like I said, the container put out the first squash. Alright....I'm a big girl. Let me have the truth.....;)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

newag wrote:Not terribly big......10" across.....I have already harvested one squash and the zucchini has one growing fruit on it, and hopefully tomorrow will have another one after it's pollinted. Okay, just lie to me if the container is too small. :cry: I can't bear to know that my beautiful plant may die because I didn't use a big enough pot. :oops: I will say the one in the ground is twice as big as the container ones, but I figured that was obviously due to the container. But, like I said, the container put out the first squash. Alright....I'm a big girl. Let me have the truth.....;)
Relax. I have a container Zucchini, and it's doing better than my in ground ones! :lol: :lol:

I put mine in an 18 gallon container I bought for 5 bucks at home depot. The plant is HUGE. While, my in ground ones... aren't, to put it simply. I think part of my issue may be not enough heat, so I just laid down a bunch of straw. Does your container zucc get different sun/heat than your in grounds?

Your plant might just be stressed. Or you could be a worrier like me, and you're seeing things! :shock:

newag

No, it's right next to the ground. I have noticed that the zuc container is guzzling the water! Squash container isn't as bad (drinking wise), but obviously more water needed then the ground. But I'm amazed at how much water the zucchini is wanting. It wasn't like that so much at first, but here in the last few days it just seems to gulp that water down! I have realized that next summer I most definitely want to use a bigger container, but I am hoping that it will continue to produce at least a squash/zuc here and there......since it is contained, that is.....I have a white thumb, so I am so happy that it seems to be doing good. That's why I'm wondering if it will be okay....maybe the fading is just in my mind??????

SPierce
Greener Thumb

newag wrote:No, it's right next to the ground. I have noticed that the zuc container is guzzling the water! Squash container isn't as bad (drinking wise), but obviously more water needed then the ground. But I'm amazed at how much water the zucchini is wanting. It wasn't like that so much at first, but here in the last few days it just seems to gulp that water down! I have realized that next summer I most definitely want to use a bigger container, but I am hoping that it will continue to produce at least a squash/zuc here and there......since it is contained, that is.....I have a white thumb, so I am so happy that it seems to be doing good. That's why I'm wondering if it will be okay....maybe the fading is just in my mind??????
I worry about mine too-- but at least it's producing Zucchini! Maybe post a photo of it, so members that know more than me can take a look and see if anything looks off? :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What type of soil in your container. Maybe you have used up all the nutrients?

Eric

newag

I used Miracle Grow potting soil that is supposed to feed it for 6 mos. Don't know if that is true, but I did inquire from them (Miracle Grow) if I could feed it before then, and they said to wait 3 mos. I am considering putting down organic manure (from Walmart) on top of it and working it in on the top 1 or 2 of soil. It has humus (sp?) in it, so I'm not sure if that's okay. (It might be fine....I'm just not sure.) Here are some pictures taken recently. I just noticed the fading this evening (don't have pictures of that.) But I'm kind of hoping it's nothing, but maybe it does need some nutrient, or something???? I'm getting ready to go on vacation and leave them in the care of my neighbor. Fretful of that, not because she can't keep a garden......but, well....cause I'm a worry wart. :wink: If there is something that needs mending before I leave, I'd like to take care of it.... :) I want to post pictures. Is there a way to post them straight to this site?[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I want to post pictures. Is there a way to post them straight to this site?[/img]
Sorry, You need to use someone like Photobucket, Photoshack, etc

Here is a sticky from the All Mighty Webmaster,
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

How to post a pic. :)

Eric

newag

Okay. Here's two pix. What do you think about the size of the container? You can see the size of the ground zucchini in the background. The little one next to it in the ground is a squash. I wasn't sure if that was even going to make it because it took FOREVER to get started growing (it was planted the same time as the zucchini, but now it's as big as the container squash. [img]https://img13.imageshack.us/img13/181/squash1x.jpg[/img]
[img]https://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7618/zucandsquashx.jpg[/img]
[/img]

newag

Actually, the one in the ground are two zucchini plants right next to each other (the squash is just one plant.) If you can believe it, I had two in each of the containers, but took one out of each.... :oops: Did I mention I am new at gardening..... :lol: :oops:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch32.html]Read this![/url]

After you read this you will understand. Now I am not saying that you can't grow a squash in a container, but I am saying it will be terribly handicapped.

Light green foliage often means there is not enough nutrients, and especially nitrogen. I would fertilize the pot. Be careful to not over do it. Too much fertilizer will kill a plant.

applestar
Mod

A half barrel -- that's like 20-25 gal sn't it? -- is usually recommended... And only using "bush" type. I've read that book jal referenced several times now, and each time, I'm amazed.

So yeah, those containers look way too small. That said, the potted plants look beautiful. They also look as though you might still attempt to transfer them to a larger container. They haven't started vining yet.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

newag wrote:Actually, the one in the ground are two zucchini plants right next to each other (the squash is just one plant.) If you can believe it, I had two in each of the containers, but took one out of each.... :oops: Did I mention I am new at gardening..... :lol: :oops:
Well, the containers are a bit small, but I think if you are careful you can still move them to a bigger container so they have more room! If you have a local home depot nearby, you can either grab a barrell to put them in, or I went with these blue rope totes for 6 bucks, then drilled holes in the bottom. I LOVE them.

[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Garden-15-2.jpg[/img]

newag

Wow! :o :shock: My poor little plants! Although, bless their little squash hearts :wink: , they're trying (and are producing...) If I were to transplant them into a bigger container, how in the world would I go about it without totally stressing them and killing them? :cry: It's obvious with all my vast experience that I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing.... :? If they stay in these containers, would they just produce....say......3 squashes as opposed to....um....I'm not sure how many a normal size plant produces. Also, with regards to nitrogen, I believe that is basically what is in the miracle grow soil I planted them in. It's supposed to feed them for 6 mos, but could it be that since the plant's roots are so vast, they have sucked up 6 mos worth of nitrogen already? :? :? :? (not sure how all that works.....)

newag

I'm going to post a new topic about my cucumbers that may have something to do with the container size also, so please check that post out as well (wasn't sure if I should post it here or not.)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

but could it be that since the plant's roots are so vast, they have sucked up 6 mos worth of nitrogen already? (not sure how all that works.....)
Yes, it could easily have used up the available nitrogen. If you have some Miracle Grow, make a mix as suggested on the package and water them with that once a week.

newag

Thanks! :)

greenstubbs

My general rule on the size of a container is, It can never be big enough!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”