hornedtoad1

would veggies absorb gopher bait?

I've been having a problem with pocket gophers for the last couple years,
and they've recently gotten pretty bad. dug holes in the trench that has the broccoli, right at the base of the plants. so I put some gopher bait in the holes, something I never like to do, but they're really getting out of hand.
afterwards it occurred to me that maybe the plants would absorb any poison that dissolved in the water, and then the broccoli wouldn't be safe to eat. anybody have any thoughts on this? I don't know if this would pose a threat or not--I do need some help with this--anybody? :)
Last edited by hornedtoad1 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornedtoad1

update--I decided not to risk it, and pulled out the broccoli at that end of the trench, dammed it off so any contamination wouldn't travel. hated to lose the broccoli, but not worth chancing it.
I'm sorry nobody offered any suggestions on this, I really would have liked some help with it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry, but I have no idea what's in gopher bait. ...

Beansie_time

try calling the manufacturer of the poison, they could probably help you out.

hornedtoad1

thank you both for your comments.
years ago I had problems with some bugs on the cilantro and scattered some moth balls around them--seemed like a good idea at the time. when it came time to cut the cilantro, it was totally inedible; had a real strong moth ball odor. maybe the same thing wouldn't happen with the gopher poison, but I feel better not taking the chance.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”