maus

what type of cats do you have? If any

Anyone have cats? what breeds? pictures?

I have a maine coon mix named Maus. shes 12 pounds and 10 months old. heres a picture of her sleeping.

[img]https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x352/mausNstuff/Mausinsleepmode.jpg[/img]

maus

I still am amazed on how big she is I have never had a cat this big before

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself. :lol: :lol:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The wife and I have 1 that she adopted from the local SPCA shelter a couple years ago. Her cat and dog both died within a year of each other and we were without a 4 legged pet for several months.

At first I was against the idea since pets do limit your lifestyle a bit and arrangements have to be made when going out of town for more that a day or two. That said, the cat has taken to me more than my wife or daughter and that has a lot to do with me being home more than the two of them. She has been fun and is a fool at times, especially when playing like she's attacking me.

I'm not so sure if we own her or she owns us.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I just love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself. :lol: :lol:

I can see the humor in this. I'm not sure others will because I've noticed some pretty sensitive types in this forum. Some folks seem to get their hackles up when it comes to mentioning eating animals, especially the ones that cause damage to the garden like rabbits and squirrels.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have two cats right now. At times I've had as many as four. Copper, the Kitty-Dog (or Puppy-Cat), thinks he's a dog: he does Sit, Wait, Off!, Leave It!, has a good recall ("Copper, Come!"), and will wait for treats in a perfect Sit. He's an orange and white, long-haired Maine Coon cross. The Maine Coon shows in the snowshoe paws, the athleticism, and the sense of humor/tricks he plays on his people and the other animals in the house. Copper loved playing with Vergil, and took to lying in Vergil's favorite spots around the house when Vergil was recovering from surgery last fall and couldn't come upstairs. It was very sweet.

He's one of the smartest cats I've ever lived with. We adopted him from the Berkeley-East Bay Humane Society in July 2008, just before my 20-y.o. cat passed away. I'm allergic to cats, and if I'm away from or without a cat for three days or more, the whole horrible sequence starts up and I'm miserable for a couple of weeks. I knew Graywyn was declining, and knew an additional cat was required. I volunteer at BEBHS, and had kept this kitty at the house on a medical foster, so I knew he was a sweet cuddle-bug.

Betty, OTOH--and I did *not* name her, she came with the name--was an emergency rescue in September 2008. My GF is a hospice social worker by profession, and one of her clients had a cat. The client's dearest wish was that his cat not go to a shelter; he feared that she wouldn't be treated fairly (not true, but he didn't know that). He wanted the cat placed in a home where her fate would never be in doubt. Voila, here is my GF on the phone one afternoon, "Would you like a second cat?"

Really, no. I had told Copper he could be an only kitty for a while to get over the adjustment he went through in the vet hospital (serious surgery). He'd only been with us two and a half months by then. But GF's husband is seriously allergic to cats, so staying at their house wasn't an option, and GF didn't know of anyone else who was in the market for a cat right then. :(

Betty, unfortunately for her, is one of the *least* intelligent cats I've ever lived with. I did a count, and I think she's at the bottom of a list of 20 cats who've lived with me (7 of them were kittens born to a pregnant cat my college boyfriend and I rescued). Copper sees her as his very own chase toy and ambush target, but she hasn't had the wherewithal to tell him NO in a convincing way.

She is a short-haired calico.

Both are spayed/neutered. All of my cats have been, after they came into my house.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Awww.... Not to worry, Gixx is a teddybear! :wink:

Our current two were originally barn kittens. The owner wanted to keep only male shorthairs so we have medium longhaired kitties. looks like they are basically domestic longhair, with ear and paw tufts and "pantaloons".

Our neighbor who has a purebred Main Coon says one of ours have MC characteristics, but she is small boned and light -- When she is awake. I could almost believe she levitates when being picked up. But at the same time, she goes limp in the way that I imagine Ragdolls do. The difference is obvious when compared to our other kitty who feels heavier and more "solid". But this one does mincing "ballerina steps" when she trots over towards you that is truly charming and the way she walks is simply elegant.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

My cats are of the feline neighborus variety. They're not as destructive this year as they were the first year my neighbor moved in, when one of them thought a raised bed was a very large litter box. She had, I think, seven or eight then but is now down to a tolerable three.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

main coons are big cats and smart and freindly.

I have a calico and she loves to play the blues and sing like this; waraa moeowwww I am such a sad cat oh yow yow.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/pianocat.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Indoors we are now down to one yowly tortoise shell, who insists on waking me up before 6AM for a breakfast she then frequently walks away from.

Outdoors we have been adopted by four very tame and friendly "feral" cats: A very pale tabby who looks like the ghost of a tabby, her regular tabby son, a white cat with orange markings, and a Norwegian forest cat (vet told us what breed he is when we took him in for shots etc... he had been someone's pet because he was already spayed when he showed up at our doorstep).

I don't have a picture of him, but here's something about them:

https://www.pictures-of-cats.org/norwegian-forest-cat.html

They apparently come in all colors but ours is long haired gray with white underside and ruff.

He is extremely long in the body, amazingly tall when standing on hind legs. He is very intelligent, very friendly and docile, lets kids pet him and carry him around, and is the best hunter of our bunch. He may have been bred to hunt burrowing animals, because he is amazing to watch tearing into a burrow. He gets really excited and turns into a frantic digging machine.

applestar
Mod

lets kids pet him and carry him around
:lol: Maybe ours has a bit of NFC in her as well.:lol:
When I wake up, she's usually sleeping or watching at the window, but by the time one DD wakes up, she's on the bed or else begs to be let in the bathroom with her and gets carried down the stairs, then she mysteriously disappears only to be carried downstairs by the other DD. I do believe she thinks it's her job to keep them company in the bathroom whenever they are in there (I've had her make all kinds of commotion outside the bathroom while *I* was using it, and when I finally opened the door, she would look in with expression like "Oh, it's only YOU." and walk away. :roll:) and to allow herself to be carried down. Younger DD carries her around on her shoulder in a sort of "Fireman's Carry." She will not scratch unless she has supersharp claws and can't help herself.

She is also their comfort, and one DD has told me on several occasions that the cat allows her to put/takes away the sad or bad feeling when she cuddles her. When one is inconsolable, the other rushes to find and deliver this kitty in her arms where she will basically mold herself and even purrs. She is our therapy cat.

The other cat is not as lap-friendly to my children but will seek me out when I'm on the computer and jumps in my lap. When I clip their claws, the therapy cat is forever pushing me away with her paws and can't get away fast enough, but my lap cat will actually curl up and purr while being clipped, and I have to give her the "Done!" command (all-purpose "no, you're not getting any more attention from me" notice :wink:) and push her off or she'll just stay in my lap :lol:

maus

well my girlfriends cat is a tortie and she loves her cat nip she likes to eat it all day everyday. we got her when she was 5 weeks old and since then she follows us around and meows at us. we cant leave any doors shut without being in her view otherwise she will wait outside the door.

applestar
Mod

:lol: Cats are funny creatures. There's something about closed doors that they just can't leave alone :lol:

My first cat, when he was a kitten, had to explore every nook and cranny. On the way home from the animal shelter (I didn't have a box for him and they didn't require it where I got him), he crawled under the low-slung power front seats of my sports car. It took forever to get him out. As soon as we got home, he took a detour behind the refrigerator which had been pulled out for repairs and required another lengthy coaxing.

The apartment had settled badly and my bathroom doorsill had sunk significantly with a big gap at one end beneath the door. I was ever so surprised the first time (well... first day, really) he crawled under to get inside the closed door. It was a tad embarrassing, but I couldn't keep him out and I got used to it. He continued to keep me company in the bathroom until one day, he had grown too big and got his head stuck under the door.... :shock: I was late for work that day. :roll:

maus

pandora (the tortie) is a annoying cat but she does love catnip. so I have about 6 plants growing for catnip

sweet thunder

Three cats in my house:

Barnaby is all black, long and lean, 15 years old and cranky as the day is long, but I would be too if I'd lived most of my life with an immune disorder (he's FIV positive). He spends most of his time sleeping or hanging out with my husband. He seems much more like a quirky roommate than a cat.

Geeba is also 15. Red and white tabby. Chock full of love and drool that he wants to share with the whole world.

Greymalk is 12-ish, petite but solid, and a beautiful shade of grey. She is my shadow. Affectionate, goofy, and not the least bit graceful.

We also have two dogs, 11 and 14 years old. Most days it seems my husband and I are just orderlies in a feline/canine nursing home.

Everybody was a rescue; everybody's spayed or neutered (even my husband :wink: ).

maus

That's a busy household

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Awww.... Not to worry, Gixx is a teddybear! :wink:
Now you are talking maybe a Bear steak with a little cat on the side with a fresh garden salad. Mmmmmmmm!!!

Just kidding folks. I don't have any cats I really don't like them too much. I like other peoples cats just not my own. My neighbor has 4 cats that is enough. Even my cat killing kid killing Pit Bull loves my neighbors cats. (No my dog is not a killer, jeez!!!) Funny thing is the cats don't like my dog but all Lucy wants to do is play with them so badly. :lol: :wink:

maus

any idea what my cat is mixed with all I know is she has maine coon in her. but shes too big to be a Domestic short hair? could she have wildcat in her?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oh, no. She's probably 100% Maine Coon. They are *large.* When I worked at the second grooming shop, there were several Maine Coon "client cats." One of them, a male, weighed 28 pounds. He was a little...ah...chubby, but another Maine Coon male in the same household weighed 24 pounds and was very trim and athletic.

These are big boys and girls; your kitten hasn't begun to show her full adult size. She may top out around 20 or so pounds, all of it needed and none of it "extra" fat.

Last night I forgot to say that Copper, my Maine Coon cross, also has the extra-long and extra-fluffy Maine Coon tail to go with his snowshoe feet and the rest of it.

Cynthia

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My cat likes to put toy mice in my shoes.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

My kitty girls would leave me gifts, too, but they weren't always toys. :roll:

Agree with Cynthia about Maus' Maine coon cross. My best girl was a Maine coon cross and her best weight was 17 lbs. At 20 lbs briefly, she was zaftig. Very flexible kitty. Big fluffy feet, dense coat. Great conversationalist.

There are people who have the various small wild cats, but they tend to be outrageously expensive, like 20K per kitten, and require special licensing. This isn't like the more common wolf-dog hybrids. A bobcat or lynx or jaguarundi would eat a domestic cat before they'd mate with it. So your cat is some combo of domestic cat, possibly all Maine coon.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I've currently got two in the house, two in the front yard, and four over the wall. In order of presumed ages:

Niro (Jet Blue), the seriously polydactyl Russian Blue, probably about 7-8 years old. We got her as a rescue kittie from a friend's garage in the dead cold of a northern Canadian January. She's still neurotic about the cold, even though we now live in the tropics. She's also a very big kittie, weighing in around 13 lbs - when she naps in my lap she puts my legs to sleep. Needless to say, she's one of the two house cats. Shown here pretending I can't see her, and then subsequently smooshing my dill seedlings.
[img]https://unusualplants.net/gallery/data/501/DSCN2659.JPG[/img]
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/DSCN4828.jpg[/img]

Michu, a mixed Burmese (we think, based on coat and bone structure), probably about 2-3 years old. She adopted us when we moved into the house. All of the other kitties that have adopted us are her kiddies. She's currently very very pregnant, so the population might be swelling by up to 4 in the coming weeks. Once these are weaned, we're going to try and catch her and have her spayed, for her health and our sanity.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/DSCN2882.jpg[/img]

The Kaiser, about 8 months old, who has some Russian Blue and some Burmese ancestry. He always looks as though he's plotting something. The Kaiser, along with his two sisters, Franz Ferdinand and Spot (also shown) are 3/4 of the over-the wall cats. We share their care with our neighbour, Fanny, since Michu has chosen Fanny's yard as her birthing place. The over-the-walls are collectively referred to as Fur Pigeons, due to their behaviour when one hucks a handfull of crunchies over the wall.

The Kaiser
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/TheKaiser.jpg[/img]

Franz Ferdinand
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/Maxi.jpg[/img]

Spot
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/Spot.jpg[/img]

Ditto (Also Cat) is another of Michu's kids; about 3 months old, she's mixed Burmese and unknown tabbyish. Ditto is the second house kitty, and she's almost always in motion (which makes it difficult to get pictures!) She's got a purr like a motorboat and she's already figured out how to open doorknobs and climb the ladder. About 1 lb of brick wrapped in silk.
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/Ditto1.jpg[/img]

Mini, one of Ditto's two sisters, is the second front-yard cat (and I need to update my picture of her next time she comes around). She's quite wary of people but absolutely heck on mice. Shown here lounging on Mom.
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/DSCN5317.jpg[/img]

Itty Bitty Kitty, the runt of Ditto's litter. She's the final over-wall cat.
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/IttyBitty.jpg[/img]

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D We have 3 cats, also all rescues, also "all" fixed. Plus the four dogs of ours and looking after our daughter's two bassett's.

Moxie is our Black manx, really quite a goofy girl! Sits and eats on the office desk, her dish is velcrowed down, so she can't spill it, her favourite way to eat, is sit and pick one chunk of dry food out at a time with her front claw!! She has been with us for 3 yrs now, was 6 mos. when we got her.

The other two are really our grandson's, but somehow ended up here?
They were both rescues, the male is a big white :roll: Fluffy cat ( that loves to get grubby) A rescue from the vet's, was going to be put down, guess who came in that day! :oops: He is around 8 or 9 now.

Third one is a himilayan crossed with??? She is a siamese colour, with long hair. Very nervous though, ( she will only let me pick her up, or near her.) as she was a barn cat, and when we moved here, she hid, and got left to spend a few months living in the neighbours old barn, not very warm!!! She must be about 5 now?

He called us, unsure if we still had the same number, and when he said he had caught her, we went right out and got her. She won't leave the building now, the door can be wide open, but she stays inside. Guess she is very worried she might get left or lost again.

We "had" the most awesome manx polydactyl kitten last summer and the the end of October, last year, she snuck out the door, and we didn't notice until later in the day, I posted lost ads everywhere, called and left her info with vet's spca's all over, but no sign of her! I have NO idea what happened, but we sure do miss her. :( I hope someone found her. Cats can definately end up very much part of your life, sometimes like it or not!!!! :wink:

maus

I honestly wonder what my maine coon is mixed with some people say bengal or lynx. If she was full maine coon she would have long hair which she doesn't somedays she acts crazy all day but I don't know

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Bengal crosses can be really comical, and active!!! They really like to get into things. :)

maus

get into things like? stuff around the house or when your eating chips and trying to get into the bag? she also is very Vocal? does she look like she has bengal in her?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html#Desc]Here[/url] is a delightful page from the Maine Coon Breeders and Fanciers Association with information on the history, appearance, personality, etc. of the Maine Coon cat.

I am now absolutely convinced that Copper *is* a Maine Coon cross. I have no idea what the "other" breed is, but his personality is Maine Coon to a T.

I do note that the client cats we received at the grooming shop--and there were over ten of them, plus the one-timers that Maine Coon Rescue brought to us--were all 18 pounds OR MORE, contrary to the statements in the MCBFA fact sheet about weight. Only one of the males was 28 lb; the other cats (well, those who had received normal/adequate food :x) were in the 18- to 24-lb weight class, males and females both, with the females tending to the lower bracket (18 to 22 lb) and the males tending to the higher (20 to 24 lb).

These are BIG KITTIES! :D

Cynthia

maus

Yes but my cat keeps getting into everything and being wild

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

maus wrote:Yes but my cat keeps getting into everything and being wild
that just proves it is a cat! :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Did you read the MCBFA fact sheet I linked to? This is a life-long, integral part of the Maine Coon personality.

Cynthia

NorthernGardener88

My sisters cat (I call her flea) has taken to hanging out with me in the garden.She was found covered in grease and oil by a highway shop, no one knows exactly where she came from.We cleaned her up and now she has a beautiful coat. She is quite the character, and enjoys chasing bugs in the garden, and hanging around our volkwagens.[img]https://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa480/bobisgawd/HPIM3813.jpg[/img]

maus

my cat is a character too she is an all indoor cat but she always comes running when you have a bag of chips and shes always getting into everything. she is a very big cat and I love every bit about her being a little on the big side.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I am usually a 1 cat person, sometimes have an overlap. This one, OK Kitty (aka Other Kitty) now about 1 yr, fixed etc. I had Kitty, overlap last summer, and Kitty went downhill and out. She was one of my fave and best kitties. This thing and I have adjusted. She wants to be near, but not lap. As we speak stretched out by keyboard, and that is a stretch of kitty! When she was a bit smaller, would walk across and re-arrange anything I was typing. 1st light she is back in my room, draped across something be it shelf, box, ironing board. Watching for me to do something, namely get up, do food, open door or otherwise cater to her. Let's just say 'We have an understanding'

I will say she gets along with the baby, now 2 and his dog who come to visit.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Susan W wrote:...As we speak stretched out by keyboard, and that is a stretch of kitty! When she was a bit smaller, would walk across and re-arrange anything I was typing. 1st light she is back in my room, draped across something be it shelf, box, ironing board. Watching for me to do something, namely get up, do food, open door or otherwise cater to her. ....
I'm sure you've heard the saying: "Dogs have owners. Cats have staff." :lol: It's certainly true at our house! Copper has staff--both of us! Betty (poor, sweet, but really not very smart Betty) has cuddle partners. And Vesta, our remaining dog, has "Mommy" and "Daddy." (But she's our dog, not our child. We have no children. :( )

Cynthia

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I posted twice somehow and I do not see a way to delete one so I will put this photo I took in it's place. It was taken at my old house and the cat hair and head used came from a cat I once had.
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/PussyPose.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by tomf on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I did not make these but found them.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/660759jzef7rhw6w.gif[/img][img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/coolcat.gif[/img][img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/hiphopcats.gif[/img]

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2439/3871856247_02a4d41e48.jpg[/img]

4 cats here.

Jaden: gray/white long hair. Girl. 12 pounds. Former barn cat
Miyagi "Miggy": brown tabby/white. Boy. 11 pounds. American Shorthair
Petal "Petalfuzz": black. Girl. 8 pounds. Sister to Miggy. Also Am Shorthair
Zoe: gray tabby. 10 pounds. Girl. Egyptian Mau look-alike, and former barn cat.

Yes, they all like to eat at the same time, hence 4 cat food bowls. We love them, but are always covered in cat hair. Alas.

Runningtrails

I have two cats and we love them both dearly. One is a small female gray tabby, named Abby, who rules the house. She is little but has a massive personality and, like all tabbys, is bossy, assertive and opinionated! She's also loving and very friendlly, winning the heart of all visitors!

My other cat, Shadow, is a male, black and white Jeffries tuxedo cat. He stays outdoors on the farm during the nicer weather and loves it. We'd be over run with field mice without him, and were before we got them. He lines them up on the porch and brings them to me when I'm outside, or occationally eats them and promptly barfs. He has a very sensitive stomach and often barfs. Abby, the tabby, has a cast iron stomach and tries to eat everything and anything we eat, silly girl!

Both are neutered. Shadow is a real lap kitty, a mama's boy, and just loves to cuddle all the time. He starts purring when you walk near by. He's also very shy and usually hides under the couch if a visitor is there. Abby is moody and temperamental. She loves visitors and all people, likes to get in their face and lick their nose. She's also very tenacious!

She doesn't like loud noises and grabs my leg, gently biting it, if I sing loud or yell something to hubby in the other room. lol! She likes me but she LOVES hubby and has since her first day here!

I love cats and would have more of them if the situation ever came up.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”