breannabadger
Newly Registered

Onion growing above ground

I've started onions from seed and transplants this year. The seeds have turned into onions but some of the onions are clearly growing above ground. Is this normal?? Should I try to cover them with soil?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum. :)

Normal, don't cover. What varieties are you growing?

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes they should be above ground. Matter of fact if you can't see them you probably won't have a good crop. Is not uncommon to see half or more of the bulb above ground.

2cents
Green Thumb

This tpic is interesting,
I just buried some I started by spreading bulbs(vidalia) and covering with last falls leaves. The leaves are gone, the onions wernt standing up, so I covered the onions with soil.
Tell us more about growing, in my case the large onions. I'm all ears.

breannabadger
Newly Registered

It's the Cebolla Spanish Gold Hybrid. Good to know that it's normal. I'll just let them go and see how they turn out then. Thanks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here are my Copra onions, long day, excellent storage.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/CopyofGardenJune27th2011006.jpg[/img]

You can see they are starting to develop bulbs and are pushing out of the ground.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/CopyofGardenJune27th2011008.jpg[/img]

No need to cover.
Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Going to be redundant here....DON'T COVER.

I did this the first time I grew onions and I ended up with small ones....planting the wrong day-length variety doesn't help, either :lol:.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

oops! :wink:

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Going to be redundant here....DON'T COVER.

I did this the first time I grew onions and I ended up with small ones....planting the wrong day-length variety doesn't help, either :lol:.
The thing about covering is they don't like it. They don't like to soaked but they do need water. But they like it dry to a point. Especially at harvest they should be watered less a few weeks or so before a planned harvest. SO letting them get their shoulders out of the ground helps them dry up, too wet and they rot.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Can I trim the tops of the onions enough to keep them from falling over? I am growing Red Long of Tropea which is oblong. They are starting to bulb but also not standingup as well with the weight of the tops.

To trim or not to trim?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would not trim. How old are your plants? They are a 90 maturity onion.

Eric

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I planted them out May 4. I started them inside on Feb 4. They are beginning to bulb but, of course, are not ready yet.

So, it is OK that they are falling over each other?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Looks like you are on the same schedule as my Copras. I would think you have another month to go. I would not trim, let them flop.

James, You out there buddy? Any ideas?

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Don't trim the onion tops. Even if they flop around, the green tops will synthesize food for the plant. When it is done growing the tops usually fall over and start to dry up. Its not a bit unusual for some of the tops (leaves) to flop over. Just let them do their thing. If they start to make a flower you can trim that one off.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

In Botany "Scape" is a flowering stem that originates at the crown or roots of the plant. We have been hearing plenty about garlic scapes, but onions have scapes too. These are onion scapes.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onion_scapes.jpg[/img]

These are edible too. The onion scape is hollow, but thick walled and juicy. If cut across in pieces about 3/8 inch long, they make interesting little green onion rings. Use them in salad, soup or stirfry. Harvest them when the blossom is still small.

The blossoms are edible too, but I find them to be hot and stout. They may be fine in a soup.
Last edited by jal_ut on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

For dinner tonight, I had onion blossoms (actually unopened buds in the pompom stage) as garnish -- liberally sprinkled on pasta and meat sauce. Yum! :D

gardenvt
Green Thumb

OK, so I will leave the tops alone. They are looking really good and growing so well. Our shallots are doing well also and we are hoping for a nice crop of single bulbs since started them from seed also.

I planted Leeks 6 inches deep May 4 and had to start blanching them again this week. Wow - these Musselburgh leeks are going to be something since they can stay in the ground until early winter/deep frost.

I plan to grow different onion varieties next year - Copra, Ailsa Craig and Red Wing.

Anyone have any thoughts about these varieties?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I assume you live up North, by your choices?

I really like Copra. Long storage. Growing them from seed for the first time. Started in Feb. in the greenhouse.

This photo I believe is some of the 2009 harvest.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20produce/CopraOnions.jpg[/img]

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I haven't tried those varieties. I am growing Utah Yellow Sweet Spanish, and Big Daddy onions this year for storage onions.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I haven't tried those varieties. I am growing Utah Yellow Sweet Spanish, and Big Daddy onions this year for storage onions.
Dang I meant to get Big Daddy as per your comments. Maybe next year. :P

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm growing Copra and Redwing for storage. I plan to use the huge Ailsa Craig for carmelizing and freezing for later use.

Where do you purchase your Big Daddy onions?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I get the Big Daddy onions locally at a garden store. They come as a bundle of small plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, onions are not planted deep. The bulbs develop mostly above ground. When they have their size tip all the tops over so they can start to dry up before pulling the onions. Then pull the onions and let them dry some more on top of the ground (or in the garage spread out if its stormy) before cutting off the tops and storing them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”