Twistedlarch
Newly Registered

Any suggestions for a fertilizer burned lawn?

I'm pretty sure the damage is caused by the Scott's Summer Guard with Weed Control since the damage is only located where I applied the fert. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reverse the effects, or is it just a "wait it out" type of deal?

[img]https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m516/Twistedlarch/Yard2.jpg[/img]

Thanks
Brian
[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I did that once, myself. :)

I think once the grass is damaged, about all you can do is make sure you provide the proper amount of water and wait for the grass to grow out. That's what I did, anyway.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Fertilizer is a kind of salt and weed control is an herbicide, so keep watering it and wash it out; other than tilling a re-seeding that is all you can do. After a time you may need to over seed, try getting a water wise grass seed if you do.

Twistedlarch
Newly Registered

Thanks had a feeling I was going to just wait it out. In the mean time I laid down some Lime/Gypsum, and have been watering heavily. I also mowed it down really short in hopes that the grass that survived would camouflage the dead stuff.

Brian

JackMatt18

Water is key, this is one method of restoring a chemical burned out lawn. Another solution is to apply a neutralizing granular product that helps neutralize the chemical in the soil. Reading the label you will see that water is also is needed in this process. You will see quicker results with this method rather than just watering. The grass will come back faster.

Return to “Lawn Care”