ruggr10
Green Thumb

Glow in the Dark Peppers

I'm very excited!!

My glow in the dark peppers (I got the seeds from AmishlandSeeds) flowered for the first time today. They have beautiful purple flowers and the leaves are a mix of purple and green! The one that flowered has buds all over it that should be opening soon. This is much cooler than my other sweet peppers with the normal green leaves and white flowers.

Anyone else ever grow these????

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

veteran

No! Never heard of them. Coolest looking thing I grow is Black Prince Peppers. Next coolest would probably be Bhuts. I am excited to see your pictures of them!

soil
Greener Thumb

my manzano tree peppers have beautiful purple flowers too. they don't glow in the dark though.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

These aren't supposed to glow either... but I guess the name comes from the purple peppers that "pop" compared to the leaves. This is my first time growing them, but they're supposed to have purple fruit that turn red at their sweetest.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I have a bad feeling about this. I can only find a few odd references to "Glow in the dark" pepper on Google, and Amishland seeds is notorious for having renamed varieties in the past. I can't bring up their website to see their description, but from another description it might be "pretty in purple" pepper.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:I have a bad feeling about this. I can only find a few odd references to "Glow in the dark" pepper on Google, and Amishland seeds is notorious for having renamed varieties in the past. I can't bring up their website to see their description, but from another description it might be "pretty in purple" pepper.
I wonder if this also isn't the same as the Lilac variety? How many varieties of purple peppers are there, anyway?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

There are several purple bell peppers, and quite a few purple ornamentals of different shapes and sizes. From the description I saw I think the key to identifying this one is the variegated purple leaves.

malkore
Cool Member

I've grown several hot peppers that have purple varigated leaves, and purple fruit that turns flourescent orange (hunters orange) when ripe.

we dried them, ground them, and put in a shaker to use on pizza, etc in place of red peppers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”