gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Tornados, flooding, record temps now earthquakes whats next.

The title say's it all. :evil:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I hadn't heard this news, but found it with an Internet search.

A [url=https://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/07/us-earthquake-missouri-idUSTRE75655620110607]4.2 earthquake[/url], evidently centered on the New Madrid system, whose horrific series of quakes in late 1811 and early 1812 is why Abraham Lincoln was the Man from Illinois and not the Man from Kentucky, where his family lived before the quakes persuaded them to move.

Normally, gixx, I would suggest, "Locusts?" but those are already plaguing Missouri. :(

Maybe the Plague of Frogs? Enough already!....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I kind of forgot about the locust, oh and let's not forget about solar flares!

At least the garden is still doing okay so far.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Check it out. [url]https://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/[/url]

pickupguy07

lets not forget hurricane season is coming....
supposed to start earlier than usual.. and be worse than normal

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We started getting July heat in May. The storms are vicious. We've had a week now with highs near the 100s and the forecast is saying there is no end in sight. I almost fainted on the lawn mower yesterday. I made it to the door and went inside. I'm just having to limit my outside time to 30 minutes.

Can't work early or late because the bugs are going crazy.

I believe in climate change. I don't know if we are the cause but I believe we are making it worse faster. We'll definitely build a safe room this year. I've been in the eye of a half dozen hurricanes and in 80 foot seas but these tornadoes just scare me witless.

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/offshore/burin.jpg[/img]

This wasn't my ship but I've been in worse.[/img]

pickupguy07

I believe in climate change also..
I'm not sure if or how much we are making it worse.
I watch lots of nature shows, and stuff about the earth...

Main thing I seem to remember is that the earth has a wobble to it.
Every 20,000 years that causes the earth to go through extreeme climate changes. I mean like the poles become like the equator is, and the equator gets freezing cold like the poles. I even saw where the Saraha used to lush green and tropical.
So depending on where we are in the cycles, this could have a lot to do with it. But this has been going on for millions of years.

Still I think what we do to the earth could play a part.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

pickupguy07 wrote:
Every 20,000 years that causes the earth to go through extreeme climate changes. I mean like the poles become like the equator is, and the equator gets freezing cold like the poles. I even saw where the Saraha used to lush green and tropical.
The 26,000-year cycle has to do with the Precession of the Equinoxes. This is tied up with the 23-degree tilt of the Earth's axis and the changing North Star. Right now it's Polaris, in the Little Dipper, but it has also been Vega and other stars in that sector of the sky due to the "wobble."

The flip in the Earth's magnetic field, on the other hand, has to do with other mechanisms altogether.

I'm unaware of, but am ready to be educated! on a cycle involving polar climates at the equator and tropical climates at the poles.

Cynthia H.

pickupguy07

cynthia_h wrote: I'm unaware of, but am ready to be educated! on a cycle involving polar climates at the equator and tropical climates at the poles.

Cynthia H.
I'm not sure which TV show I saw it on. It was either on the national geographic channel, or the nature channel.
Was very interesting, and had lots of good info.

They even had one show on glaciers, and siad the earth only has "X" amount of water all the time. (Makes sense, when there are fllods someplace, they are generally droughts elsewhere)
Anyway they said that when the glaciers where formed they had so much water accumulated in then that it lowered the sea level, and it was dry land from almost the southern tip of Florida pretty much to texas. They also said that the pole had so much weight on them it made the earth slightly bulge out at the center. Interesting stuff.
I'll watch and if I see when it going to be on again.. I'll let you know.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

pickupguy07 wrote:I believe in climate change also..
I'm not sure if or how much we are making it worse.
I watch lots of nature shows, and stuff about the earth...

So depending on where we are in the cycles, this could have a lot to do with it. But this has been going on for millions of years.

Still I think what we do to the earth could play a part.
Think about it; the Earth would have to flip around for the equator to become as cold as the North pole, this is not happening and not every 20,000 years. As for a magnetic flip in the poles; yes the was a rapid change in the angle of the magnetic poles once a very long time ago. The poles magnetic center is changing all the time, right now it is slowly headed east. A change in the magnetic north is not a change in the direction the Earth faces the Sun, it is an effect of the iron cores fluid dynamics. What the Earths wobble does is to shift the Earths Axis slightly so that Earth's south hemisphere or the north hemisphere is slightly facing the sun more. When the south faces the sun we get warmer as there is more ocean in the south and oceans hold heat better than land mass. Right now we are in a northern warble yet we are getting warmer.
Now as for the Sahara being lush; this is true. Before north and South America connected due to plate tectonics there was an ocean current that flowed between the contents and brought rain to the area.

pickupguy07

All I know is what they showed and said they have proven on the TV show. I wasn't there to see for myself.. LOL
IMO I don't see any reason a factual nature program would tell stuff that's not true.. ??

I relate it to how they determined the world was formed, how long the earth has been here, etc
I know they can determine a LOT from when they bore holes miles into the poles, and the earth.. so I know this determines much of what they prove.
Stuff like when we had the glacier period(s), how many times we had glaciers, when and how severe volcanos were, hom much ash they through into the air, and how it changed the weather climate..
So seems like we have the technology to prove what has happened in the past. SO I pretty much believe what I see on all the nature shows.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not know the show you are talking about but most likely they did have their facts correct. There are cycles but not quite as you described them.

This is a bit of reading but it may shed some light on what the facts are.

ttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3631764.stm

https://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6h.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

pickupguy07

well.. In just a brief search I found several places that discuss what I mentioned about the earths wobble, and it casuing glaciers
A brief exerpt I'll list here

Earth's axis is currently pointing at the North Star, Polaris, but it is always rotating around in a conical pattern. In about 10,000 years, it will point toward the star Vega, which will mean that winter in the Northern Hemisphere will begin in June instead of January. After 20,000 years, the axis will again point at Polaris.

Link here to one of the several atricles
[url]https://www.livescience.com/6937-ice-ages-blamed-tilted-earth.html[/url]

As for the desert never being lush and populated.. here is a quote from a science journal

At the end of the last Ice Age, the Sahara Desert was just as dry and uninviting as it is today. But sandwiched between two periods of extreme dryness were a few millennia of plentiful rainfall and lush vegetation.

During these few thousand years, prehistoric humans left the congested Nile Valley and established settlements around rain pools, green valleys, and rivers.

The ancient climate shift and its effects are detailed in the July 21 issue of the journal Science.

that link is here
[url]https://www.livescience.com/4180-sahara-desert-lush-populated.html[/url]

If I had time right now I am fairly sure I could find proof of the other item I mentioned.. but for now, this info backs up what I stated before. Like I said,.. I just repeated what the scientist have found and proven, and showed on the TV show.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It's 10 PM and 88 degrees. I believe.

pickupguy07

and I thought it was bad here when it was 80* at midnight.....

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The fact that the Earth wobbles is not in dispute, what is incorrect is the statement you made here.

“Every 20,000 years that causes the earth to go through extreeme climate changes. I mean like the poles become like the equator is, and the equator gets freezing cold like the poles.â€

shadylane
Green Thumb

Something seems upsetting to mother earth. One day it's 100 degrees and the next in the high 60's. I've never seen such weather paterns in all my days.

pickupguy07

here we went straight from winter to summer.
We had one of the worst winters on record ever.. and then a very short (very rainy) few weeks,.. the BANG summer is here.
We've already had more days over 90 degrees than any summer in the past.. and it's not even July yet..

lily51
Greener Thumb

we are in nc rignt now on vacation. roasting hot by pm so we go to the beach from 9 to12, stay inside most of afternoon. mmeannwhile back home in onio there have been
strong storms, one leaving 2 1/2" rain,flooding fields again. guess mmy friend wont have to do much watering 4me.
as far eadths water supply goes, it is finite, but dynamic.

pickupguy07

lily51 wrote:as far earths water supply goes, it is finite, but dynamic.
There's just so much, but it's always here just in different forms. Rain, fog, snow, ice... I we have lots of water in one place.. there is a shortage somewhere else.
Floods in Mid-west.. droughts in texas, etc.

lily51
Greener Thumb

yep, thats the dynamic part....always changing forms.

buzzcut

welllll.....according to some scientists, an alien invasion on humans may be necessary for the survival of other civilizations.

believe the article I read came from a report in one of the UK papers.

:roll:

john gault
Green Thumb

I think we're all just creating hysteria. If you look at the history of climate this is not all that bad, not saying it's NOT bad, just that we all (everyone, not just on this site) seem to be reacting to all the hype created by the 24-hour news cycle (they need ratings, no money in good news).

I ain't planning no move to antarctica :lol:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”