sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

summer squash growing super slow

but they're getting ready to flower?? and they're super small. IDK why they have flowers on them they're so little! I"m wondering why they are growing so darn slow. I'm going to give them some earth worm castings I think

But, is it bad that they're flowering at such a small young age? should I take the flowers off?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have always felt the plant knows when it can bloom and make seed. I just let them do their thing. We can see to it that the plant has what it needs for good growth and watch and enjoy. Yes, give it some worm castings and water it good. Has your weather been cool? It has been a cool season here and things are growing slowly because to the cool temps.

johnny123

They are not the fastest growing plant.
Keep them watered good and they probably will do fine.
When I put in my squash plants that I started from seed for the first month they don't look like they are going to amount to much but they come around.
Sometimes they come around too well and the neighbors get alot of squash. LOL

johnny123

Forgot to mention that they like 80 degree soil for a good root system.
If you feel the plant is too small you can pinch off the blossoms if you want and let the plant grow more but I have never done this.
I just let them grow.

Did you plant them in mounded up soil?
Mounded soil warms up quicker.
They are also heavy feeders and need their nutrients and alot of them.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

The temps have been interesting. It'll be in the high 80's low 90's for a week and then drop 30 or 40 * for a few days, they jump back up, and then go down. and up again. whacky weather! I think they're plenty hot though.

It is just that they're not growing like last year. I cheated this year and got garbage soil to start seedlings in and they just didn't grow very fast. I transferred them outside a few weeks ago and they really haven't grown all that much. THey were looking yellowy. So, I gave them some fertilizer and they perked up a bunch, but still growing slow. Yesterday I gave them castings and then it rained. So I'm hoping they take off now. I didn't have much castings, so hopefully it is enough. just a small scoop to each plant. last year they went nuts and fast. I guess what I did was put abunch of compost in each spot last year. I thought it would be enough for them this year as well, but apparently it wasn't. man. I wish I had a cow.

johnny123

Get a rabbit.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”