pennyhal

succulent kissing balls

I have the frames to make succulent kissing balls. I've made succulent wreaths with sphagnum moss using wire to hold it in, but am unsure as to how to keep the moss inside the ball shaped frame. It's 8 inches in diameter. I have nursery pins to keep the cuttings from falling out, so that should not be a problem.

Has anyone made one of these before?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:oops: OK, I have to ask, What is a kissing ball?????

pennyhal

Oh! They are balls made of various materials...moss, styrofoam, etc...and are covered with foliage of sorts...roses for weddings, mistletoe, pinecones. In Victorian days if a lady was kissed under such a ball, she was supposed to marry the man who kissed her...don't know how true that is. Sometimes they are called pomanders I think.

You can buy the wire ball forms, I think they refer to them in the topiary group, online. You see them in a succulent book that tell you how to stick the succulent plants in them, but not how to get the moss to stay stuck inside the wire form. I guess you pack it in there, but it seems to me that it'd fall out the bottom.

I was hoping that someone may have experience with this sort of thing. I've done succulent wreaths just with moss and the balls look great!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

As I recall from ones I've seen, the ball is filled with sphagnum moss and as the plants are added, more is packed in around the roots, so they're held securely in place.

You can also buy sphagnum moss in sheets. Or you could use a mat of coir, I.e. shredded coconut fiber. These products are often used to line hanging wire baskets, so the soil doesn't fall out. You could line the ball with something that, then pack the center area full of moss, or even cactus/succulent mix, depending on the kinds of plants you're using. Cut x-shaped openings in the sheet moss or coir matting, so you can insert the plants. Then pin them in firmly and pack some additional moss around the roots to secure them and kind of hide the pins.

They're very pretty. Why don't you post some pictures for us when your done? I would enjoy seeing them. :)

pennyhal

Great suggestions! Thanks!

I ordered some moss sheeting. That will solve my problem. I'll just stuff the ball with sphagnum moss ,then cut the moss "x" style and attach it with nursery pins or wire it together. Maybe the wire will be more secure. That will hold it! Once the plants take hold and grow, it'll cover the moss and wire.

It may take a while to grow, but I'll post pictures of it as a "baby" ball so you can see it in stages. It may be 2-3 weeks before I'm at that stage as I need to wait for the moss sheeting to arrive. I'll have to figure out how to do that on this Board.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”