Invader-Myna
Newly Registered

How deep of a pot for basil, thyme, parsley and sage?

I'm trying to start an indoor garden of sorts. I think I've got most of it set up, even found a nice south-facing window and it's sunny enough so the plants would get a ton of sun each day if they need it. However since it's an indoor garden, how deep of a pot do I need for basil, thyme, parsley and sage?

I'm growing from seed... haven't started on the thyme, parsley and sage yet but I did start growing the basil abd the container's gonna be way too small. (barely 5"... eh o-o;;)

Any help would be fantastic, thank you!

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

I would be a lot more worried about container width than depth if you are planting them all together. If the lighting conditions are less than optimal (eg. a window) the plants are really going to be competing for light once they get big and you want to give all of them enough elbow room to get plenty of light. Your best bet may be several smaller containers that can be moved/rotated as the plants grow to ensure even light to all the plants.

Now to answer the question you actually asked- 5 or 6 inches should be plenty deep enough. Roots can certainly grow deeper than that but assuming they have access to plenty of water and nutrients there is no reason 5" deep roots shouldn't support the plant.

Invader-Myna
Newly Registered

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't clarify, they're all in different pots. The basil pot is barely 5", the other three are about 6". I've heard parsley has a very deep root, which is why I was concerned. Thank you for your help though! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grow parsley in 6" pots and it does okay. Tends to not get as big as parsley in the ground, but survives and produces plenty of pickable leaves. But it is outside with lots of sun. Combination of small pot and less light might be harder.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”