LibertySwanson
Newly Registered

Rhubarb

My husband and I just bought a house and in the corner of the backyard by the shed is some rhubarb. It's big, ugly, and bolted. Is there anything I can do with it? My grandmother had rhubarb and I never remember it looking like this. I have dreams of using rhubarb in some baking some day. But I'm not sure what to do with this plant.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Go out and pull all the leaves and stems. The stems go in the kitchen, the leaves in the compost. Hope you have some recipes for rhubarb ?.
Miss (now Mrs.) Liberty
Congrats.

Lex

Also, get those seeds before they fall, unless you want lots more rhubarb!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Next year just break or cut those flower stalks off as they appear. The plant doesn't need to expend energy producing flowers and seed - well, not for your purposes anyway.

We have gone over our 3 rhubarb plants once, harvesting all the leaves. They will come back and more will be available for harvest. After that, we'd better leave them alone altho' we have harvested a little rhubarb in the fall.

The best rhubarb plants I know of, including the 3 plants here in the yard, grow on the east side of a building. They just seem to do real well in that setting.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”