donworden
Cool Member

Dang me.... mumble mumble....

3 days ago I discovered a strawberry plant in my lawn (previously planted there). This was before I put in a bed for them... Anyhow, I noticed that it had about 20 berries still green, but in the process of ripening. I just knew I should have marked it's location... was going to wait till the berries ripened, and then relocate it into the strawberry bed.
Daughters bf decided to assist me in the lawn maintenance, and mowed my back yard... and of course the strawberry was destroyed.

I couldnt chew him out, cause I didnt tell him where the plant was... but needless to say, I am thoroughly mad at myself.

I am giving the plant time to recover.. have it marked with a stake.. and as soon as it heals enough to tolerate being transplanted I will do that...

Dang me!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am sorry for your frustration, but this got me giggling.........

donworden
Cool Member

I know.. it really is a humerous situation. The kid felt really bad when I mentioned the strawberry.... I told him that this was actually my fault for not marking the site. And I thanked him profusely for taking some of the workload off my back. I know that strawberries are fairly resiliant... the back yard is covered in wild ones, and I mow them every week, and they still grow. Its all good.

applestar
Mod

Ooh, I know the feeling! Several years ago, my MIL was visiting and went out to look over the garden. We had lunch and a pleasant visit, but after she left, I discovered that she had "weeded" the garden and uprooted all my Alpine strawberry plants that had finally established and started to bear well ...and left them to wilt and dry up in the sun. :roll:

Now, I accompany her when she wants a tour of the garden. :wink:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It may be the best time to move that strawberry plant, now.

Plants are often pruned during the transplanting process.

It is just that this deliberate pruning isn't usually done with a lawnmower.

Steve :wink:

donworden
Cool Member

The transplanting of the poor injured strawberry plant is going to be done as soon as I can... and for the record, I chewed myself out pretty good... I also grounded myself for a week.

applestar
Mod

:lol:

nosta

:lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Let's see daughters Bf electing himself to assist in hard work.

I would be more worried about his intentions than the strawberries. :lol: :wink:

donworden
Cool Member

gixxerific wrote:Let's see daughters Bf electing himself to assist in hard work.

I would be more worried about his intentions than the strawberries. :lol: :wink:
Wife and I have known him for the last almost 17 years.... Daughter and him only got together last year.. He has always been a gentleman since I've known him... Matter of fact I encourage them being together, He has a stable job, and worships the ground she walks on.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”