mariak
Newly Registered

Potential contamination?

Hello! I just talked with my neighbor who told me he was planning on using a grub killer and weed killer on his lawn this weekend. I have a large vegetable garden along the fence that separates our yards. Will this affect my garden?!?! I am wanting to grow all of my vegetables/fruit organically without any contamination. Should I be worried? Thanks for your help!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Herbicides work all too well on garden vegetables.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Granular or liquid? If he is spraying liquid it could drift over your garden and do some damage. At least he is a nice guy and warned you what his plans are... Too bad he is married to poisons for his lawn.

applestar
Mod

Unfortunately, there is a tendency to place the veg garden at the edge of a small property. It would help if your property sits higher above the grade/slope than the neighbor's. If at all possible, it's probably better to maintain even a small buffer space of ornamentals or have a solid fence separating the properties.

Believe me, I would design some of my own garden spaces differently if I could, though I'm making small changes year to year. :|

One good way is to change your perspective and consider edible landscaping -- I.e. Don't limit yourself to a dedicated vegetable garden. :wink:

Vorguen

what do you mean by edible landscaping? that really interested me..

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Edible Forest.

Canopy, Fruit and nut tress etc....
Under story, Currants, gooseberries, aronia etc....
Forest floor, vegetables, strawberries, clover, vetch, comfrey etc.....

Layered just like nature.

Eric

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”