dhudson
Newly Registered

Clematis C. Spooneri

I can't get this Clematis C. Spooneri to bloom.
I planted three years ago. The first spring I only got a few flowers so I researched and followed the pruning suggestions I found that recommended I prune way back to 12" and that I would get lots of flowers on the new growth the next spring.
Next spring, no flowers. So I tried what is recommended for the other type of Clematis and trimmed back to 3', apparently flowers would only happen on old growth. But this spring no flowers yet either. It is supposed to provide a blanket of white flowers in spring...but nothing.
Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Denise

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dave's garden says the snowflake clematis is :

Pruning Groups:
Group 1 - Spring bloomers; no pruning
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2765/

Also:

General Culture:

Grow in fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Roots should be kept cool, shaded and uniformly moist. Bloom occurs entirely on the previous year's growth (old wood). No pruning is necessary, but, if desired, should be done immediately after flowering. Needs adequate supply of nutrients during the growing season to support rush of growth. This species is not reliably winter hardy in the St. Louis area where it should be planted in a protected location.
https://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=H610

You didn't say where you are. If you are in a cold winter area, that may be setting it back so that it doesn't bloom as well. I'm in zone 6 (which I think is similar to St Louis) and I have had a hard time growing clematis (hot humid fungal summers conducive to clematis wilt as well as cold winters). It should be hardy in my area. But just in case I brought the one I planted last year in for the winter, after it had gone dormant. It is now out there growing by leaps and bounds and flowering. But then so is the one in the front yard that stayed out, nearly died a couple years ago, struggled along last year without flowering and now is flowering like mad. Maybe it likes the cool wet spring we had?

dhudson
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply. I did forget to say I am in Los Angeles.
I will try no pruning then...

Denise

lmmyers48@gmail.com
Newly Registered

Hi, we have the same clematis. It's on its second season in our garden. It had a light bloom last year, and this year it bloomed nicely and has grown to about 15'. We are training it on a wire railing. My husband noticed it bloomed on the old wood so we are not pruning it at all.
I just looked it up to check this and saw advice to prune it only after flowering, if it needs to be shaped. Also saw your post. Here is a link with a photo, and the info that this plant has been renamed. They seem to be always doing this - it's a challenge to keep up with the terminology!
https://www.rainyside.com/plant_gallery/vines/Clematis_montana_var_sericea.html
So you're on the right track, let it grow and it should bloom for you next spring. It's really a lovely plant.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”