stella1751
Greener Thumb

Raising Mary Jane... Not

I was outside getting something out of my car the other day ago when I saw a Sheriff's Department vehicle pull in front of my neighbor's house. A grim-faced deputy stepped out of the vehicle and briskly marched toward the entry gate to my yard. Halfway there, he noticed me standing by my car. He stopped. We stood there, staring at each other for a second or two. He turned around, walked back to his vehicle, and drove away.

This bothered me. I couldn't figure out how or why an old woman like me had come to the attention of the Sheriff's Department. I pondered over the incident for the rest of the day. What about me could have put that mean look on his face? Why did seeing me outside stop him in his tracks?

Later, I put my tomato plants outside. Because I badly sunburned them earlier, they have no lower branches, just a leafy crown on the top. Because I ran out of room under the fluorescent lights, I had to put them in a window, so their stems are long and slender. Because I work early AM hours much of the time, that window, which faces the street, is often backlit by the kitchen light in the wee hours of the morning, making these odd-looking tomatoes especially visible to passersby.

I think I know why the Sheriff's Department is interested in me. I also think I am insulted. I don't mind that they think I am growing marijuana. Back in the day . . . well, that's not important. I do mind that they think I would be so incredibly stupid as to grow it in plain view :x

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Stella, those who grow marijuana are not particularly known for being the brightest bulbs in the pack, so that may be why a deputy thought you'd grow the stuff in plain view!
You got that right, Marlingardener. Marijuana is literally a weed in the upper Great Plains. Huge patches pop up in the middle of corn and soybean fields. I had to spray them many a time while living on my acreage in South Dakota.

When in her late teens, my sister-in-law drove from Denver to Lincoln to visit her grandfather. On her way there, she and her boyfriend saw a field literally choked with the stuff. They stopped the car and filled trash bag after trash bag. They were downright giddy over the haul they had made.

My husband got the telephone call that evening. They'd been arrested and needed him to drive to some Nebraska city (North Platte?) to bail them out. A highway patrol officer had been watching the field, waiting for someone dumb enough to stop :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

One spring I was growing some Kochia bushes as a fast ornamental to use around the foundation of my new house. The plant is commonly called Burning Bush, for its bright red color in the fall. The leaves are lacy and resemble ... ahem ... guess what. But it never occurred to me. :roll:

Then some kids broke into my garage and stole my and my son's bikes. I called the cops, they saw the seedlings in my kitchen window, and started asking questions. Finally, I caught on and offered to bring the plants outside so they could examine them. Funny part was that one of the cops was my next door neighbor and a good friend of mine. I think he was just giving me a hard time for the laughs. :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I would be upset that my local law enforcement officers (who my taxes were paying to protect me from crime) were so lax as to not follow up on the tip. Today's upper age classes were yesterday's pot smoking baby boomer's. Why shouldn't they be growing pot for medical and recreational use.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was outside getting something out of my car the other day ago when I saw a Sheriff's Department vehicle pull in front of my neighbor's house.
He followed you home. He noticed, at the store, you purchased a lot of bathing salts. :P

Eric

stella1751
Greener Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:I would be upset that my local law enforcement officers (who my taxes were paying to protect me from crime) were so lax as to not follow up on the tip. Today's upper age classes were yesterday's pot smoking baby boomer's. Why shouldn't they be growing pot for medical and recreational use.
I'm not angry at him for doing his job, and, yes, I do have the look of an aging hippie. I find it amusing that my rocky start to the 2011 garden season has brought upon me the watchful eye of law enforcement. I will be very happy to put those battle-weary tomatoes out one day, but rain and T-storms have prevented me from preparing any beds for the past two weeks, and the high winds have made it pretty much impossible to give the tomatoes a normal life, one that would make them actually look like tomatoes.

Until the rain stops, maybe sometime next week, I expect I will be seeing more law enforcement lurking around that kitchen window. And, once I have set the tomatoes out in one of the back yard beds, removing them from their position of high visibility, I am sure they will assume I smoked it and give up their surveillance 8)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO Ohhh I'm sorry but that's just plain funny!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Sella, if you have a joint....I quit 30 years ago but all this weather is making me nervous. I can meet you somewhere... maybe halfway in Western Tennessee. I can be there in about 16 hours.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I dunno, Charlie...sounds like she'll have to roll ya some tomato leaves! I'm not sure that they'll 1) taste so very good or 2) make ya feel so very much better, either. :wink:

I mean, really....smoked tomato leaves??? I've had dried tomatoes, and they were really good, but the leaves...not my thing. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Yesterday, I was at the bookstore browsing in the Gardening section and was surprised -- actually... -- to note that they had more than 10 titles on the subject.... I guess it's because of the medical use.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:Sella, if you have a joint....I quit 30 years ago but all this weather is making me nervous. I can meet you somewhere... maybe halfway in Western Tennessee. I can be there in about 16 hours.
Sorry, Charlie. These poor guys need every spare leaf they have. Right now, they look like one of those Chinese Crested dogs, with their top knot of fluffy leaves. I tried covering their garden spot with black plastic last night in the hopes that it will be dry enough to work the soil this morning after another night of heavy rain. I have decided I'd rather spend my summer outside than in an 8 x 10 barred cell while local law enforcement sends the plants to FBI headquarters for testing :shock:

rootsy
Green Thumb

If I didn't have to worry about the Fed Gov't and the State would make it so that it could be a profitable venture I'd consider growing medicinal. Just too much of a PITA for the return with the small amounts you are allowed.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

If the state wouldn't take away my house I would grow fun marijuana for cooking.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I was at my small branch of an independent bank couple weeks ago. The manager asked how the Herb business was going, and I had an all too meager deposit. I said It would do better if I were growing Interesting stuff. He laughed, spoke up towards ceiling (must have mics for security), She's just growing chives and basil!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I guess I am just one of those truly weird people who have never smoked that particular weed. Tobacco yes, marijuana no. I don't even know what it smells like when it's burning. Early in my adult life,I had a moral viewpoint on the subject. Today, I don't. I think it should be legalized and all the silly laws which make people "criminals" should be abandoned. I do think it should be taxed heavily as are all other recreational drugs. I also believe anyone driving under it's influence as well as anyone driving while texting should be severely punished. Drunk drivers are endangering the public. So are people under the influence of other mind altering drugs and people who send text messages while driving. Hang them all from the highest tree after the second offense. I know a local kid who was caught driving under the influence of alcohol. It was his first offense. He received a court fine of several thousand dollars, he can't start his car for one year without breathing into a breathalyser and the rent on the breathalyser is $150.00 per month. He is required to perform twenty hours of community service each month. He also must pay an additional penalty of $1000.00 per year to the state of Texas for three years. I don't feel even slightly sorry for the kid even though I believe he is a good kid. Smoking pot or driving while texting should have similar severe penalty's.

Kansas was, and I suppose still is; one of those states where marijuana grows wild all over the place. Mostly along rural railroad tracks and river banks. It's a left over from when Kansas had huge hemp farms for the war effort during world war II.

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This is a bit of a different misunderstanding.
A few years back someone from management came to me and said he heard there was a blizzard going on. I said yes there has been and the snow was very good. After a time I realized he was not talking about the same snow as me. I informed him I was a skier and knew nothing about the snow (coke) he was talking about. I think he was disappointed upon hearing I had no information for him.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've got a greenhouse and grow lots of plants in 1 gallon up to about 30 gallon containers. Last year two helicopters hovered over my garden at about 100-150 feet plus flew low in the woods all around my yard. I think that my yard fit the profile of a marijuana grower. Bet they were all ready to call in the sheriff when they first saw my operation. Evidently the spotters were able to differentiate between my plants and weed, because after about 10 minutes they flew on to the next search grid. They did that for at least 30 miles between Camden and Sumter. The next day the paper carried an article about the national guard assisting the sheriff's office in making several arrests for manufacturing marijuana. That was about 15 miles from our place.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon May 30, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yes Tom, I guess I have never seen a white powder called snow except beneath my skies or while shoveling my driveway. My view of the white powdered drug isn't quite as liberal as my view on marijuana. I believe coke actually does physical harm to the body of a user. I question, but I am not sure of the wisdom of controlling peoples bad decisions by legislation. Was it Gomer Pyle or Forrest Gump who said "Stupid is as stupid does? It may have just been Eric who said "you can't cure stupid". I don't think you can legislate stupidity out of people either. I know people who have become criminals and served prison terms due to gambling addictions. Gambling now is mostly legal, but we can't ignore the harm to families and individuals the recreational pursuit of the addiction causes. I wonder what the effect to society would be if non prescription, recreational drugs were decriminalized. It would divert huge sums of money from drug cartels to tax revenues. I guess my question would have to be "would the new tax revenues from necessity be spent on rehab facilities for new addicts?.

Ted

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:I know a local kid who was caught driving under the influence of alcohol. It was his first offense. He received a court fine of several thousand dollars, he can't start his car for one year without breathing into a breathalyser and the rent on the breathalyser is $150.00 per month. He is required to perform twenty hours of community service each month. He also must pay an additional penalty of $1000.00 per year to the state of Texas for three years. I don't feel even slightly sorry for the kid even though I believe he is a good kid. Smoking pot or driving while texting should have similar severe penalty's.
Excellent! Agree 100% with the DUI and the penalties.

As to legitimate gardeners (see above) being suspected of growing non-legal plants, The Law def. needs to bone up on tomatoes! Potatoes! And other Solanaceae, which seem to draw The Law's attention most often as a mistake for the most common non-legal plant.

Why we cannot grow hemp, though, is beyond me. It's one of the most bio-friendly plants around: fabric, paper, food, rapid growth, biomass for compost (whatever is left after the fabric/paper/food is made), low need for soil nutrients, low need for water! Might even grow in my freezing-cold yard! :D

Cynthia H.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There were laws requiring farmers to grow hemp at one time in some places in the US. Not all hemp is a drug and it is good fiber.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't do drugs, aside from a small glass or two of wine most nights. However, I wish that Johnny Marijuana Seed would fly from coast to coast sprinkling the seeds all over. Then marijuana would simply be a weed and would likely be removed as a target for the legal system. Law enforcement could instead focus on harder more damaging drugs and could put more effort into preventing the kind of criminal activity that really has a seriously negative impact on the typical citizen's quality of life. The legal system for the past few decades has almost single handedly created the criminal underground drug industry. The prohibition laws cost a fortune battling a war that can't be won. and IMO actually give incentive for criminals to actively market their drugs to the population. We learned absolutely nothing from alcohol prohibition and the huge criminal underground economy that those laws created. Now the effect of drug prohibition has created criminal empires that are larger than many governments. Mexico is a good example, where the gun toting drug lord mercenaries may outnumber the police and the military in that country. Won't settle this issue on a gardening board, but certainly agree with that statement [stupid is as stupid does] and such is not limited to drug users.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

The hemp for cordage is a bit different, perhaps species from Ooh-Aah. For awhile I dealt with hemp canvas, fabric, cordage for the 18th c bunch. Over the top stuff! Much grown and processed in China, and much in Eastern Europe. No surprise there as that was the source back 1750. Russian Canvas and sheeting goes back to those times.
The weed in Kansas will make great rope, and smoke like burning rope.

Just FYI!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hemp/Marijuana grown during WWII had the chemicals in it that produced a high. It simply had not been perfected to the same degree that modern marijuana has. The wild hemp in Kansas, and I would think other former legal hemp growing areas; is the same potency of that grown in WWII. Modern hemp grown for fiber has supposedly had the potent chemicals bred out. The only reason the federal government and local governments won't approve it's production in the United States is the fact that it is hemp. I think it is silly that some farmers can grow medicinal marijuana, but not commercial quantities of hemp for fiber.

Ted

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

If you want revenge, plant a big stand of Kenaf {Hibiscus cannabinus} and when they raid your property and cut it all down you can ask them to write you a check for the replacement value of your completely legal fiber-bearing crops they just cut down.

[img]https://www.kenaf-fiber.com/images/foglie_kenaf2.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've heard of kenaf, and I've seen paper/books made from it. Is it explicitly legal, or at least not criminalized, in all 50 states? Or do you know, HR?

A variety of Hibiscus?! Wow. :D

Cynthia

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

To the best of my knowledge it is completely legal.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't be- other than kinda looking like pot it is a completely different plant from a different family and it share none of the 'recreational' properties of the Cannabis sativa plant.

The real question is- if drug enforcement officials come and chop down your completely legal fiber crop are the obligated to pay for it since it was their mistake and you have not violated any laws? I remember hearing stories of people having to pay to replace doors/door frames when police served no-knock warrants but kicked in the wrong door (eg. the drug dealers live at 203 Bayside Drive, this they kick in 205 Bayside Drive) and the police just said "our bad" but did not give compensation.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

So, why would they pay for a plant, if they won't pay fir a door? And how would that be getting revenge for anything? :?

applestar
Mod

It was Forrest's Mama who said that.... :wink:

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

Kisal wrote:So, why would they pay for a plant, if they won't pay fir a door?
The idea is that they should pay for it. If I destroy your property you'd expect me to compensate you for it; why should law enforcement be any different assuming no law has been broken by the person who's property was damaged.
Kisal wrote:And how would that be getting revenge for anything? :?
When Channel 6 News comes out and does a feature story on the drug enforcement agents who can't even ID the plant they are supposed to be preventing correctly it's be a bit embarrassing I imagine.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is not smart to screw with such law enforcement people. They are in such a sweet position to make a person's life miserable if they choose. Most would not I'm sure, but if you were trying to be a smart [alec] or came across as being that way and came to the wrong person's attention, you could get harassed or worse if he/she decided to take you on as a 'project.'

[Not my word!] - edited by one of the board police.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Me too, alex. I do not want to draw attention to my self, I like hiding out in the woods. Not that I ever do any thing wrong.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ted Kaczynski liked to hide in the woods also. :wink:

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

hendi_alex wrote:It is not smart to screw with such law enforcement people. I agree with this. They are in such a sweet position to make a person's life miserable if they choose. Most would not I'm sure, but if you were trying to be a smart alec or came across as being that way and came to the wrong person's attention, you could get harassed or worse if he/she decided to take you on as a 'project.'
I agree with this! I don't mess with the police department or the IRS. :lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Ted Kaczynski liked to hide in the woods also. :wink:

Eric
Very true. :lol:

Boomslang
Cool Member

I would much rather have a neighbor that grows some recreational herb that have one that has a meth lab in his basement. A little Mary Jane never hurt no one, but this meth junk. That stuff is just pure poison they put in their bodies.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Boomslang wrote:I would much rather have a neighbor that grows some recreational herb that have one that has a meth lab in his basement. A little Mary Jane never hurt no one, but this meth junk. That stuff is just pure poison they put in their bodies.
Oh, God, yes. My sister works as an O.T. (occupational therapist) in a very low-income school district. She was at a loss to understand how the mother of one of her students could care so little about the student (and then listed specifics of his pitiful situation which, in the interest of confidentiality and his own human dignity, I will not mention). We were on the phone, and I suggested to DS that the mother might be on drugs. Then it went something like this:

Sister: "What? Heroin? That doesn't do this."
Me: "No. Meth."
Sister: [thinking I said "mess"] "Well, yes, the whole situation is a mess."
Me: "No. Methamphetamine. It sucks the humanity right out of a person."
Sister: "Oh God. That's just how she acts towards him. No humanity at all. Our mother [an emotional abuser] was a paragon among women compared to his mother."
Me: "Oh God. Poor little guy [he's 8 years old]. You know, [name], an alcoholic will eventually come to and realize, 'Jesus Christ. My kids need something to eat. They need to change clothes.' [both of our parents drank] But a meth head will never notice anything except, 'Where's my meth?' "
Sister: "I have to read up on meth and its effects."
Me: "Yeah. Its profile came up TONS while you were studying and getting your certificate. Really evil, nasty, soul-destroying stuff."

Cynthia H.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have seen people get on meth and with in less than a year they lost every thing and were going to jail. It is very bad stuff. When they make it in a house the walls have to be stripped down to the studs, why would any one start taking some thing so toxic?

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”