tgplp

Tomato journal

I love tomatoes! And by looking at this forum, I'm guessing you guys do too! This thread is to share with everyone how your tomatoes are, and what new stuff is going on in your tomato jungle. So what's up? Start off by telling us some of the varieties you're growing this year and why. What stage are they in now? Etc. I'll start us off...

I just picked up some more tomato plants at the farmers market. I already have to many seed grown tomatoes, but... There must be more room for tomatoes around here somewhere, right? I got: sungold, Yellow Pear, German Stripe, and Black Russian. I prefer heirlooms, but Everyone says Sungold is delicious. In my hoophouse, there are more tomatoes packed in there! I'm really excited about Gary 'O Sena, because it has buds on it, and I grew it from seed! I always feel so much more attached to plants I grew from seed, ya know what I mean?

Taryn :)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm growing from seed this year- all Yellow Pear Tomatoes. I did cherry from starter plants last year, but there was too many and it wasn't sweet enough! I even put my cages in ahead of time this year, so I'm ready and excited for them to grow crazy and tall!

tgplp

Aaaaah!!! I can't wait til the tomatoes start ripening! I am excited for yellow pear, too. It has such a cute shape, and seems grow over here under the clouds. ;) wait a sec... Do slugs like tomato plants??? :o

Taryn

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

I've got high hopes this year. All are in the ground. Some are a foot tall, some are a foot-and-a-half, some two feet. Reinforced my cage system this year, too.
Here's what's growing:
Belgian giant
German Johnson
Old German
Beefsteak
Black Krim
Cherokee purple
Lemon boy
Chello (yellow cherry)
Supersweet 100
Pineapple
Green zebra
Brandywine
Better boy

thergj
Newly Registered

Wow, nice spread Brian. Mine is far more modest - Six plants from starters: Mr Stripey, cherry, Beefsteak, sunfire and 2 better boy. Four of them are in big pots on the patio and I see about a dozen fruit already. I've got space in the garden for 2 more plants. Any suggestions?

tgplp

Thergj- what are you thinking of growing?

Here's my list of plants this year:
Gary 'O Sena
Green Zebra
Sun Gold
Sweet Million
Brandywine
Brandywine, Sudduths
Grape
Anna Russian
Orange Russian 117
Black Russian
Lime Green Salad
Cherokee Purple
Yellow Pear
German Stripe
Sweet Gold
San Marzano
And probably some more I can't think of... Lol! :) some are little seedlings, some are a foot tall, and some are a few inches taller then a foot. Some have flower buds, and Sun Gold has one flower open! I'm so excited. I can taste the tomatoes already. Mmmmmm

Taryn

speedster7926

lol all the different types I only have yellow pear, cherry, and better boy. I have already picked 3 cherry's and I got 2 almost completely yellow yellow pears I can't wait I have never had the pears b4.

kimbledawn

Here are the varieties that we are growing this year;

black russian
virginia sweets
aunt ruby's german green
haleys purple comet
chocolate cherry
beauty king
black and brown boar
berkeleys pink tie dye
roma
taxi yellow
black from tula and there are others that I can't remember because my computer crashed.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

speedster7926 wrote:lol all the different types I only have yellow pear, cherry, and better boy. I have already picked 3 cherry's and I got 2 almost completely yellow yellow pears I can't wait I have never had the pears b4.
if you don't mind me asking- are they more of a plant growing up, or more of a climbing vine type tomato? I have some yellow pears I just put in the ground, with cages, but I'm not quite sure what to expect with them!

thergj
Newly Registered

@tgplp - Not sure. I have some green peppers, onions, strawberries, pumpkin and watermelon... but somehow I'm thinking 6 tomato plants isn't enough :D. Which variety has a high yield and good flavor?

speedster7926

SPierce wrote:
speedster7926 wrote:lol all the different types I only have yellow pear, cherry, and better boy. I have already picked 3 cherry's and I got 2 almost completely yellow yellow pears I can't wait I have never had the pears b4.
if you don't mind me asking- are they more of a plant growing up, or more of a climbing vine type tomato? I have some yellow pears I just put in the ground, with cages, but I'm not quite sure what to expect with them!
the cherries are 4ft tall and spreading in all directions about 3 ft lol but the pears are about 4 ft tall and straight up but mine are leaning something awful because I have 54" walmart cages and the wind was bad so now leaning horribly

thergj
Newly Registered

https://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z387/thergj/?action=view&current=tomatoearly.jpg
Last edited by thergj on Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

speedster7926 wrote:
SPierce wrote:
the cherries are 4ft tall and spreading in all directions about 3 ft lol but the pears are about 4 ft tall and straight up but mine are leaning something awful because I have 54" walmart cages and the wind was bad so now leaning horribly
Oh, goodness, I bought 54" cages from my local tractor supply and hammered them into the ground! augh! I guess I better figure out a better way to secure them, I suppose. Thankfully they're near the fence so I suppose I can just wire them to that for support... I can deal with 4 feet straight up :D

speedster7926

right now I got 2 yellow pears almost ripe I don't know when they are ripe so I'm guessing they are almost completely yellow and about 200 grren ones per plant I can't wait and I have hundreds of cherries my mom and wife like them
Last edited by speedster7926 on Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue11

speedster7926 wrote:right now I got 2 yellow pears almost ripe I don't know when they are ripe so I'm guessing they are almost completely yellow and about 200 grren ones per plant I can't wait and I have hundreds of cherries I mom and wife like them
I am so jealous. I have about 50 or so Black Pearl's and 100+ tomatoes each on my Sunsugar and Isis Candy plants but they are all still green. The heirlooms are even further behind, and my last batch of cherries (Red lightning, green zebra and supersweet) are only just starting to flower.

tgplp

Thergj- oh gosh, so many varieties to choose from!!! :D this is only my 3rd year growing tomatoes. I'd say just get a random pack of seeds and see how it works for you! ;)

Today I caged/staked my outdoor tomatoes. Sungold now has a few flowers, I hope they can set fruit in this weather!!! :/ my fingers are crossed.

Taryn

graham

Mine are going in the ground tomorrow afternoon. I am growiing Black Krim, Bloody Butcher, Better Boy, and Sweet 100. I'm growing them up a trellis.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

My yellow pear tomato seedlings have doubled in size over night. Woo hoo!

Although, I still have 2 seedlings I'm not quite what to do with, since I have no room for them in the garden, and I'm going away for a week. Ugh.

tgplp

I just looked at the Woodinville weather report: as far as the eye can see (10 days) it is 50 degrees and rainy. :( how will my flowering plants set fruit now? ;( but... That didnt stop me from buying two more plants at the farmers market! No, I don't have room for them. But they're so big and flower-buddy! I got Chocolate Cherry and Super Sweet 100. Anyone know about these guys?

How are your tomatoes? Everyone join in! :D

Taryn

tgplp

First fruit set of the year! It's a Sungold. :D

Taryn

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”