angelkrp
Newly Registered

Aphid help!

Hi, I'm new here. I wouldn't really call myself a "gardener", though I have always loved planting flowers, I don't know much about them. I recently planted a memorial garden along side my house for my daughter. Included in this garden is a small mini rose tree called "Daddy's Little Girl". I noticed a week or so ago that little green bugs were all over one or 2 of the new buds. I didn't do anything about it. Then I noticed they were multiplying and covering several of the new buds. I then found out that these are aphids. I know ladybugs eat them and we plan to release ladybugs in the garden for our daughters birthday in June. Until then, and on top of that what can I do to keep these things at bay! Last night I doused them with soapy water and hand picked and squished them, I was pretty sure I got all of them, but this morning there a bunch more again! Not as many, only on one or 2 of the buds again, but I know they multiply fast! Should I hand pick again? Should I spray with soapy water every day? I have heard of using Neem Oil, and tried to buy some last night, but couldn't find it at Home Depot, where can I buy it?? Will the Neem oil kill the lady bugs? I don't want to use harsh chemicals, we already spray chemicals for spiders and ants, and I hate using chemicals, so hoping not to add any more of them! Please help!

~Andrea~
Kaiya Rae's Momma

angelkrp
Newly Registered

I used liquid dish soap last night. I didn't spray it, I squeezed it over the buds/branches and then hand picked the bugs off. Then I sqeezed it all over the plant. I guess dish soap is a detergent? I will have to get something different. What about Murphy's oil soap? I have some that. Thanks for you help!

~Andrea~
Kaiya Rae's Momma

kelly714

I use banana peel at the base of my roses. Aphids apparently do not like potassium because the aphids are gone.

dbang10

Lady bugs are good but hoverflies are the best at devouring aphids.

Return to “Rose Forum”