jdurling
Newly Registered

Weed or Flower?

Hello,

In the front garden of the home I recently moved into there is the following which I am not sure is a flower or weed?

[url=https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/weedoryellowflower.jpg/][img]https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4480/weedoryellowflower.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Anyone able to help?

Thank you,
James

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it's only a weed if you don't want it there...looks like on of the wild cresses, winter cress maybe. I've left a few around. some pollinators seems to like them.

applestar
Mod

I would keep it at least until the flowers drop. Attracts beneficial insects too - aphid mummy makers, hover flies, robber flies, braconid "caterpillar eater" wasps, green lacewings,...

After the flowers are done and only the green spiky things remain, you can cut at soil level and put the top in the compost or on the path, or use as mulch, or let it go to seed and collect the seeds to scatter where you want more of it, but don't let it go to seed and allow the seedpods to dry on the stalks if you don't want them growing in this spot.

jdurling
Newly Registered

Thank you both for your help!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

It's called Wild Mustard. What the proper name is, I'm not sure. Awful stuff, spreads something terrible. Get it gone!!! It spreads something awful. If it's kind of scratchy when you go to pull it out, it's definately wild mustard!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I was thinking wild mustard too. Agree with potatoes that a weed is something you don't want, particularly something you don't want that tends to spread rapidly. So you have to decide whether you want it or not. The leaves and flowers are edible, with a bit of spicy/ mustardy flavor.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”