gardenbean

Where can I purchase Copper Sulfate?

Home Depot, Lowe's or would I have better luck at my local garden shop? I am not close to a arg store or chemical shop.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Do you want copper sulfate or a copper fungicide? Kocide is copper hydroxide, and Bonide makes a copper fungicide. Either could be found at Lowes/ HD cheaper than local nurseries.

The Home Depot website lists liquid copper fungicide.

gardenbean

TZ- I'm not sure which one I want :roll: All I know is that I think I might be getting some blight on two of my tomato plants. We have been having heavy, heavy rain storms come thru with cool, cloudy, damp days with not alot of sunshine. I want to rid this nasty stuff before it takes a hold on my plants.

I have removed the lower leaves/stems of the plants in question (which I should have done while planting them in their containers, but didn't at time) and have applied a milk solution to the remaining plant. The blight doesnt not look like it is spreading but it doesnt look like it is going away. Just when the plants dry out here comes the rain again........... :evil:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I would go with the fungicide rather than the pure chemical. Both have the same active ingredient, but if spraying plain copper sulfate on plants was better they never would have developed the fungicides to replace it.

gardenbean

Ok that I will do. I trust you. If it's not to much to ask, could you give me some brand names so that I don't look like a complete idiot when I go into Lowe's or Home Depot looking for this stuff. Thank you.

On a side note, I told myself this year wasn't going to "baby" my tomatoes and look what I'm doing now!! GeeZ............... :roll:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Kocide is the only name I know off hand, but I have given up on my Lowe's having whatever brand I'm looking for so I look at the active ingredients...and I don't trust the people working in the big box store garden centers to give accurate information.

The label might say "disease control" but will also say fungicide someplace and say "copper" something in the ingredients. It wil also probably mention it as a treatment for "blight". If it is certified Organic it will say so on the label as a selling point but while pokeing around on the internet I saw a mixture of copper fungicide and carbaryl (Sevin) insecticide made by Bonide which would not be organic because of the Sevin.

gardenbean

TZ-thanks for all of your help with this. With information in hand, I am off to see what I can find!!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”