Hedgehog
Newly Registered

Cat peed in my avo. plant, now it's dying

My roommate's cat peed in the pot of my 2 year old avocado plant, and now all the existing leaves are turning brown and falling off.

Several new small leaves have begun to grow at the top, and at the end of the only branch, but I'm afraid they will soon die too.

Is there something I can do to help counteract the effects of the cat pee?

I'm worried that with only small, new leaves I shouldn't repot the plant, but is this my only hope of saving the tree?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Urine is very high in nitrogen and what probably happened is that your plant was burned. So, I would give it a good watering and cross your fingers.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Hedgehog,

I agree with Opabinia. If you can, put the pot in the sink or bathtub and let the water run through to flush out the urine. Don't fertilize for at least a couple of months, and if you do, use an organic fertilizer like fish emulsion or fish emulsion mixed with sea weed.

Newt

Hedgehog
Newly Registered

I sprinkled a bunch of ash on the dirt before I watered it today, but will try flushing the plant thoroughly with water.

Thanks!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hedgehog, I'm guessing that you knew that avocado prefers a more alkaline soil and that's why you used the ash. Btw, from what source was the ash?

Newt

Return to “All Other Fruit”