vja4Him

Hot Weather Beans and Peas ...

What would be a good choice of hot-weather beans and peas to grow around the Modesto, California, area (Growing Zone #14/eight)?

Rogue11

Peas are actually a cool weather crop, I don't think the hot California summer will suit them. What kind of beans are you looking to grow, green beans, dry beans...?

vja4Him

Rogue11 wrote:Peas are actually a cool weather crop, I don't think the hot California summer will suit them. What kind of beans are you looking to grow, green beans, dry beans...?
I know that Peas grow best in the fall, winter and early spring, but I was hoping that I might get lucky and give it a try if I can get the seeds in the ground very soon!

As far as beans are concerned, I'd like to grow several varieties. I really don't know which ones though, but any beans that would do well in our hot weather!

I have beans and peas growing already, but the bugs have destroyed so much of my garden, that I need to start all over ....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wando is a good pea for warm weather.

applestar
Mod

I grew California #5 Blackeyed peas -- which are really beans -- last year. They are vigorous monsters, but very good as green beans and shelled mature fresh beans, as well as dried. :D
Last edited by applestar on Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

vja4Him

jal_ut wrote:Wando is a good pea for warm weather.
Can you suggest any seed companies to order the Wando Peas?

vja4Him

applestar wrote:I grew Califirnia #5 Blackeyed peas -- wheach are really beans -- last year. They are vigorous monsters, but very good as green beans and shelled mature fresh beans, as well as dried. :D
Where can I order Blackeyed Peas?

Tate
Cool Member

I am in zone 9a. I only have about 800 sq. ft. in my suburban garden so I have to continually plant new crops for better yields.

I follow my green beans with purple hull peas. I like black-eyes as well, but purple hulls are more flavorful, IMHO. Purple hulls can be picked as snaps, shelled peas, or left to dry for storage. The only issue is the aphids love them in my area so I have to spray them with water, insecticidal soap, or garlic pepper tea.

rareseeds.com have some purple hulls. I order some specialty types from there (like the 6-week purple hulls) and others I get local.

Good luck!

Tate

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'd plant peas now. It won't be hot until August, if then.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

But Modesto can see temps in the 100s easily, late June, July, August...bean weather, def. not peas! :)

I have the opposite problem at my house; I'm pushing the envelope this year and trying sugar snaps through the summer. After almost freezing to death last summer and sometimes getting less than 4 hours of sun per day, I'm going for it this year: leafy greens and cool-weather veggies all year.

What makes it an *enjoyable* rather than just *necessary* experiment is that I've been able to rent a 4'x8' container (24" deep! :D ) from the City of El Cerrito. This container has an unimpeded southern exposure, against a southern wall. I've planted tomatoes (6 plants), Romano broad beans (6 plants), eggplant (3 plants), basil (3 plants), crookneck squash (3 plants), and pattypan/scallopini squash (3 plants). Those 24" of height will provide a good drop for the squash plants, I'm hoping.

So Modesto is much better suited, being in Sunset climate zone 14, for warm- to hot-weather veggies during the summer--like my southern-exposure box--than most of us along the coast of the Pacific Ocean.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yay!! Congratulations, cynthia, on your new garden bed. Sounds like you packed it full of goodies! Let us know how it all goes/grows...

applestar
Mod

I like black-eyes as well, but purple hulls are more flavorful, IMHO. Purple hulls can be picked as snaps, shelled peas, or left to dry for storage
So I've heard. So I'm trying Purple Hulls this year for the first time. 8)

lorax
Greener Thumb

On the beans front, 'Rattlesnake' pole beans (which are actually an edible-podded type) have stood up immensely well to the dry heat here in Ecuador's altitude desert, so they'd likely do quite well for you also. You can also try Favas and really any of the Latin American bean cultivars. (Frejol Pinto, Frejol de Fresa, Frejol Blanco, etc etc.)

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I will second that on Rattlesnake, here in Florida they were great through part of the summer last year, didn't start the season with them, but after someone recommended them, I bought a couple of packets and have had consistant beans all the time. It has been in the 90's here and they are starting to produce again. Very happy! They will be a staple for me.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Can you suggest any seed companies to order the Wando Peas?
Sorry. I buy locally. Try Google.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

lorax wrote:On the beans front, 'Rattlesnake' pole beans (which are actually an edible-podded type) have stood up immensely well to the dry heat here in Ecuador's altitude desert, so they'd likely do quite well for you also. You can also try Favas and really any of the Latin American bean cultivars. (Frejol Pinto, Frejol de Fresa, Frejol Blanco, etc etc.)
I was going to say that in Latin America, it gets very hot and folks eat alot of beans down there. Pinto, black, white, etc. They must be hardy in hot weather. In fact, I don't think I can grow them successfully in Ohio due to the short season. It doesn't stay hot long enough.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I got Wando - I believe from Baker creek and I do love their selection and thier yearly magazine and their Heirloom publication.

lorax
Greener Thumb

orgoveg wrote:
lorax wrote:On the beans front, 'Rattlesnake' pole beans (which are actually an edible-podded type) have stood up immensely well to the dry heat here in Ecuador's altitude desert, so they'd likely do quite well for you also. You can also try Favas and really any of the Latin American bean cultivars. (Frejol Pinto, Frejol de Fresa, Frejol Blanco, etc etc.)
I was going to say that in Latin America, it gets very hot and folks eat alot of beans down there. Pinto, black, white, etc. They must be hardy in hot weather. In fact, I don't think I can grow them successfully in Ohio due to the short season. It doesn't stay hot long enough.
Actually, beans are considered to be a "cool weather" crop here - they're generally grown in the highlands, where the weather is more similar to that of California. However, they do want a full 6-month growing season, which you up in Ohio don't have.

OP is in California, though, and they'll do just fine there - so, VJA, go on down to the grocery store and pick up some dried Mexican and Latin American beans from the produce section! Those normally sprout and grow just fine.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Cynthia, Modesto, oh ! :oops:

vja4Him

Tate wrote:I am in zone 9a. I only have about 800 sq. ft. in my suburban garden so I have to continually plant new crops for better yields.

I follow my green beans with purple hull peas. I like black-eyes as well, but purple hulls are more flavorful, IMHO. Purple hulls can be picked as snaps, shelled peas, or left to dry for storage. The only issue is the aphids love them in my area so I have to spray them with water, insecticidal soap, or garlic pepper tea.

rareseeds.com have some purple hulls. I order some specialty types from there (like the 6-week purple hulls) and others I get local.

Good luck!

Tate
Do you make your own Garlic Pepper Tea? How can I make my own?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”