linlaoboo
Green Thumb

rhododendron pjm?

Anyone have experience this type of shrub? Is it suitable material for bonsai?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just about anything can be worked, so yes. Depending on leaf size, and its ease of reducing, you may or may not like the finished results.

manofthetrees

howdy linlaoboo,

they sure are,but I would suggest a dawrf variety tho,the leaves and the flowers are quite large on the full sized ones.
There is a place in New York called Rock City that has monolithic sized rock formations with tons of little wild rodies growing everywere out of the the rocks.Natural root on rock bonsai, I was so tempted to steal one. I'm actually going back there next week for M day weekend so ill get some pics to share

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Manof the trees,

wild rodies souns tempting, I'm not that far away from there, will have to keep that in mind if I ever go up that way. looking forward to see some pictures of them.

I just air-layered my shrub, figure I give it a shot and see if I get roots in a couple months and go from there. One question I have is how much fertilizer should I give it (for acid loving plants)?

djlen
Green Thumb

Are you talking Rhodys or Azalea? The are in the same family, the difference being, for the most part leaf size.
Azalea, IMO is easier to work with because the tend to love pruning and are more adaptable to container growing than their larger leafed cousins.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Rody, not Azeala. I stay away from Azeala since killing a couple I bought in the past

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”