avc1984
Newly Registered

Cucumbers blossoming too early?

I started several Sumter cucumbers back in March (the 12th to be exact). They were planted out in Earthboxes two weeks ago. They had a bit of a rough time hardening off (some of the larger, lower leaves didn't look so great) but they've produced new leaves and growth. They're still rather small, with the largest plant only being about a foot long. However, they've begun to produce flowers. I'm concerned that they're putting their energy into blooming and not enough into growing. Is my thinking correct? Should I snip the buds off, or let them be?

Thanks!
Amy

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I'd let them go, they'll do what is right for themselves. The blossoms might even drop off before making cukes.

Rogue11

Aren't the first blossoms mostly male anyway? My Persian cucumbers have blossoming for nearly 2 weeks now and only now I am seeing the first 2 female blossoms.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just let them grow.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Vining plants like cucumbers, melons, squash etc normally are planted directly instead of being started inside. Try that next year or even put some seed in the ground now. They grow so fast there is no need to start ahead plus they are not fond of having their roots disturbed.

If they are started early it is recommended to transplant very early like when they are only a couple inches tall.

avc1984
Newly Registered

gixxerific wrote:Vining plants like cucumbers, melons, squash etc normally are planted directly instead of being started inside. Try that next year or even put some seed in the ground now. They grow so fast there is no need to start ahead plus they are not fond of having their roots disturbed.

If they are started early it is recommended to transplant very early like when they are only a couple inches tall.
Even if they're started in peat pots? I started them in peat pods, transferred them to peat pots and just dropped the entire pot into the EB.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

avc1984 wrote:
gixxerific wrote:Vining plants like cucumbers, melons, squash etc normally are planted directly instead of being started inside. Try that next year or even put some seed in the ground now. They grow so fast there is no need to start ahead plus they are not fond of having their roots disturbed.

Even if they're started in peat pots? I started them in peat pods, transferred them to peat pots and just dropped the entire pot into the EB.
if you can, I would quickly take them out, remove the peat pot, then put them back into the ground :D The peat pots won't biodegrade in time and will cause your plants to get rootbound and harm their production later...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”