pompuplover

Strange plant!!

Hi All, I went to walmart the other day and picked up the strangest plant I have ever seen! It looks and feels like it may be a hoya but it has leafs that look like they are folded in half! I have no idea how to post a picture but will do so if anyone can tell me how! My question is, has anyone ever seen anything that sounds close to this?
thanks,
Lisa

[img]https://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee475/julia1237/PLANTPIC.jpg[/img]
Last edited by pompuplover on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Instructions for posting images is one of the subjects covered by the Webmaster at the link below.

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23]Helpful Gardener's Tips & Suggestions for New Members[/url]

pompuplover

thank you so much!!

pompuplover

Hi all, I founf out it is a hindu rope hoya!!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:) You were very lucky to find one that nice and big----BUT be very careful how much you water them, they die very easily from being overwatered. Also don't transplant it for a long time, then only in spring. Use a real good cactus mix....I keep losing mine, because of overwatering one time, then transplanting at the wrong time the next. I hope to get a couple more next week, but at least now, I have finally found a really good cactus mix being sold here. It's awesome, so I am really hoping I have success this time out. I feel like a Indian Rope Hoya killer :oops: Good Luck with your's it's beautiful.

pompuplover

Thank you so much for the information! I am very new to hoyas and have no idea what to do with them!! If you ever need a cutting of it please let me know! It is good size for being a $15.00 walmart plant!!
Lisa

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:) pompuplover---That's a very kind offer, but they do have them in a gardening store in Calgary, and we have a appt. in there on monday, so I want to go get some more! Don't water from the TOP either, they don't seem to like that. Keep away from cold windows, and out of direct sunlight. These things are gorgeous, but SO fussy. Too bad more people wouldn't come on with their opinions on these cactus, IF they have them. Would be great to know their secrets! :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Secrets, my hind foot. I didn't even recognize the photo. :oops: Or know the name of the plant. :oops: Tells you how helpful I would have been. (= zero)

No, the only question/comment I had was, "How on earth could I represent that puppy in crochet?" what with all the twists and turns and curlicues in and out....Looks like the plant maximizes light absorption by generating as much leaf surface as physically possible.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cynthia, the way the leaves fold over and twist, don't you think that would tend to reduce light absorption, rather than increase it? That's how I envision it, anyway.

Can't help you with the crochet! Been long years since I've crocheted much of anything, to tell the truth, although I've made many an afghan. I have an unfinished one, for which I seem to have lost the pattern. Someday, I may try to reconstruct the pattern and complete the thing. It has wavy vines and leaves running lengthwise as a pattern, but the design is created by different stitches, rather than colors. The afghan is monotone. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If you consider that the "underside" of a leaf as well as the "top" of a leaf can perform photosynthesis, then it makes more sense, probably. A lot of those leaves look like they've gone to a lot of trouble to fold themselves in halves or thirds with the "undersides" on top!

Cynthia

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nice plant
Last edited by PunkRotten on Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Did I miss this tip? Don't trim your hoya if you want it to bloom. People who think they want them bushy seldom get flowers.

I don't grow 'em, but an aunt even farther south had several of different species.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

thanrose----I definately missed that tip!!! Good to know, thank you. What other kinds of hoya's are there, besides the Indian Rope Hoya and the Regular hoya???? Those are the only kinds I have seen anywhere.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Green mantis, she lived in zone 10b, so it would have been a lot easier to obtain a larger variety of tropical plants. One of them had the heart shaped leaves so Hoya kerrii I'd say. And she had one with longer slender leaves. I never saw all of them in bloom, but of course she had Hoya carnosa. Really, her hoya vines could be a couple of meters trailing, but the waterfront environment was conducive to optimal growth.

It's been a quarter century since she lived there. And she passed a few years ago.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I am going to have to look those kinds up, in case I ever come across some and don't know what they are!!! :oops:

luvnsurf

Hi there. These two websites were helpful when I was identifying my hoya kerrii plant that I got from a friend who did not know what the plant was.

[url]https://www.exoticplants.com/succ-hj.html[/url]
[url]https://www.rareflora.com/hoyakerii.htm[/url]

I live in Florida and hoyas are relatively easy to grow here. Most of the hoyas like shade/ partial shade and do not like alot of water. They are drought tolerant and relatively slow growers. I really enjoy them and I can't wait my Hoya Kerrii to bloom. They have beautiful blooms. We also have a Hindu rope cutting that we are rooting. Good luck with your hoya!
Last edited by luvnsurf on Fri May 13, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Oh the hoya's in those sites are gorgeous!!! Not sure if I could order some from Canada or not?? They are talking about CITIES to do with them?? If anyone reads the first site through, could you give me an idea what YOU think about ordering, to be sent to Canada??? Sure would appreciatte it. Thanks. Love your hoya, I would be in big trouble if that store was near me!!! :roll:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”