gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

When is the normal Garlic harvesting season?

I know to harvest when the plant is about 2/3 down. But about what month is that for the Midwest Zone 5b. I have read many different things.

What do you say I'm in mid Mo.

I'm trying to plan on what will be filling that area and that depends on when it is free.

Can't stop , won't stop. :lol:
Last edited by gixxerific on Tue May 03, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its late August for me.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Jal but we are in way different climates. I am wondering how that correlates to me. :oops: :roll:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

May or June for me here in zone 8. So you must be around the mid point between Jal_ut and me. I harvest when the bottom third of the tops turn brown. Hold off of watering the last couple of weeks before harvest.

applestar
Mod

WITHOUT checking my notes, I remember it as early August for me and I planted so that the garlic areas were taken over by encroaching sweet potatoes, melons, and watermelons last year.

I might try fall broccoli, peas and spinach following the garlic this year in some of the areas. I'm pretty sure pumpkins or winter squash are taking over in one bed.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'm in the 5/6 line and I think that mine were ready in late July/early August if not sooner. I thought about planting a late crop of something but didn't have deer protection for the spot.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks so I will plan for late July early August. Sweet potatoes would be a good idea but I don't think I would have enough time for them to mature. I will do something maybe fall crops.

applestar
Mod

They're not mature. Just the vines needing the space to spread out. :wink:

If you want the details, I think I grew bush beans between where the cucurbit seeds were sown and where the garlic were planted and probably had some spring greens before that. It was a daily eye-balling of the growth rate of the vines, wondering if I timed all their growth patterns right. :lol:

soil
Greener Thumb

harvest when the garlic is ready, not by date.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since the garlic is done so late, it would be a good time to plant cool weather stuff again for fall. Fill in the spot with lettuce, broccoli, etc....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes I know AS I'm thinking when I plant sweet potatoes they grow fast. and my garlic is pretty dense right now. So I am not sure those two could coexist and still do good.

Soil I also know pick when ready not by date. Just looking for a good generalization for planning future plantings. Thanks.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Since the garlic is done so late, it would be a good time to plant cool weather stuff again for fall. Fill in the spot with lettuce, broccoli, etc....
I'm thinking Brussels sprouts, I still ave yet to get anywhere with them. Lettuce too, we shall see.

Newbie Mike
Newly Registered

I'm in south central VA, I'm trying garlic for the first time this year. I planted it the first week of April, when I planted most of my garden. Everything seems to be doing really well except the garlic. The greens are only about 4" tall and the tips are brown. Any ideas?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Everything seems to be doing really well except the garlic. The greens are only about 4" tall and the tips are brown. Any ideas?
This is a post from earlier, hope it helps. Garlic does better planted in the Fall.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34075&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Eric

Newbie Mike
Newly Registered

Wow! I didn't realize it took so long to grow.... thanks for the info

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, gixx and I are reporting on garlic we planted last October. Mine is huge now, but I do think it likes the cooler weather to get going in..

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”