schsec

Tree Peony

every year I dead head my tree peonies after they bloom.
I'm just wondering if this is necessary for good bloom next year, the seed pods are quite interesting looking.

what do you think, will I be disappointed in next year's display if I leave them?
[/b]

meesh
Cool Member

Tree peonies are one of my utmost favs. I sometimes cut the pods off and sometimes I have left them on. I've never noticed a difference. But, I'm a fertilizer nut so my stuff is very well fed, that may make the difference so that the plant keeps its strength.

schsec

thanks meesh,
I have just two tree peonies and just love them!
thanks for the reply.

just curious, what fertilizer do you use?

meesh
Cool Member

I use lots of different ones, different moods I guess. I use an organic
5-5-5 mixed with an organic micros( liquid). I use lots of Alaska Midnight sun. I used Whitney Farms Organic Vegetable food last year on everything. I tend to give little shots of miracle gro and miracid(because I get it free). This year I"ve used Whitney Farms Rose and Flower food so far and some bonemeal.

schsec

wow ,,, thanks for the info...

I'm sure an amateur in comparison.

I better go looking for some new products. especially the organics.

blessings

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

This is why forums like this are so great! Brings experts on various topics into one place where we can share information. Thanks meesh. :)

meesh
Cool Member

I'm no expert, I'm just your average plant geek :wink: . Thank you for the compliment.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's what an expert is Meesh. A geek. We are all plant geeks in here but some of us geek out on different topics. I'm a big soil and biology geek.

Great to have you.

schsec

opabinia51 wrote:That's what an expert is Meesh. A geek. We are all plant geeks in here but some of us geek out on different topics. I'm a big soil and biology geek.

Great to have you.
HUM,,, soil and biology.
so composting questions should be directed to opabinia51....

fertilizer to meesh.

all I did today for my plants is buy them some bone meal. no time to put it on tonight. got a wedding to prepare for.

on the composting topic. I started a new hillside garden with sandy/loam, lots of sand though.
this is on a lake side home, lots of sun.
I've started a composting pile on the back property for future use on the hill but for now I'll need to buy compost to improve the soil.
how to get the compost 'cooking' as fast as possible?

also, my plant selections are for the most part easy to grow and fairly drought tolerant.
love a challenge!
not good on the feet though, horsing around on that hill.

Remove seed heads after flowering is finished to allow the plant to store more energy for next year’s bloom.

For HERBACEOUS PEONY - NOT TREE PEONY, in the fall, after frost, cut back the dead stems of herbaceous peonies down to the soil surface. This is very important if you have had any disease problems. Discard the stems.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You don't need to buy compost. Now, is the perfect time of year to lay down a thick layer of leaves topped off with manure. I usually do several layers with several different leaves from different species. I also vary my greens with:manure, (horse and chicken but, steer, sheep, pig and so on work), grass clippings, coffee grounds and so on.

Anyway, leave and greens and you will have lovely compost that is rich in worms and other soil organisms next spring.

Don't throw away all the sticks when raking leaves, I break them up a bit. But, wood adds structure to the soil in the form of lignins which are very slow to break down. This structure will help to prevent the soil from being washed or swept down the hill.

schsec

that is great composting tips. and thanks for telling me it's ok to put the materials right on the hillside... so much easier than doing all that hauling TO the compost pile and BACK to the hillside.
very good

thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh, you are most welcome. The above method is called Sheet composting. Works like a charm.

I like to add a little rock phosphate as well. Be sure to use rock phosphate and not some salt based phosphate which will actually destroy the whole dynamic that you are building with the sheet compost.

Sheet composting will also ammend both clay and sandy soils.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”