RuHappy69

Multi Vitamins in the garden?

I have some multi vitamins that recently expired and I was wondering if gringing them up and spreading them into my garden is a godo thing or not? Thoughts?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Hmmmm... very interesting question. I have no idea, but I'd sure like to know the answer :D

applestar
Mod

I wouldn't just throw them away either. :wink:

Hmm... I think I would put them in the compost pile or crush and "dissolve" in a full watering can.....

veteran

I thought they were like Twinkies and never expired! **checks his centrum silver bottle**.. but no, in all honestly, I highly doubt you would have no positive nor negative effect.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

A while my mom threw some expired vitamins in with one of her plants and it seemed to explode in healthy growth! I tried it another time and it seemed to have no effect. Maybe it depends on the plant or vitamin?

I used one a day men's. DOn't know what she used. Probably not a men's multi vitamin though lol.

Another thought, she put it in with a flower, not a veggie. I used it on a veggie.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I've heard of putting crushed calcium tablets in the soil under tomatoes to combat BER.
I pour old flat diet Coke in my container plants and they thrive. Maybe it's the caffeine?

applestar
Mod

It's the phosphoric acid. I would've said also the sugar, but I'm not sure about sugar subs, though aspartame might break down to some nitrogen?

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I've tossed old vitamins in my compost. The more volatile stuff will break down pretty quickly, but the micronutrients will remain. Hope they are available for plant use. I know there's that tiny brown bottle of a vitamin liquid for plants that I think is mostly B vitamins. With a healthy compost, you would probably already have B from yeast/fungal action on the periphery.

I put some broken up calcium tabs in a few pots this year, but haven't noticed any particular response.

A tiny part of my job is destroying old medications. There is a protocol for different sorts, but stuff like supplements are such a shame to waste. I also have a connection to two clinics in poverty and tragedy stricken environments so if it can be used by someone that's where it will go.

johnny123

I tried that once with vitamin fortified cereal.
I mix the cereal in the soil and got dead tomato plants.
I think they OD

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Count Chocula or Cap'n Crunch? Or maybe it was the milk that sounded the death knell? lol

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”