cfd683
Newly Registered

Apple tree - Pollinator - Need expert advice please!!!

I am in need of expert advice on the subject of tree pollinators. I currently have an apple tree which exists.. it is a "Jonagold." The tag I have from it says that it is a cross between a Jonathan and a Golden Delicious. I very recently purchased a Red Delicious. The tag on the Red Delicious says it needs a pollinator to produce fruit effectively.

My question is this... Would the Jonagold be considered a pollinator for the Red Delicious as both varieties it is a mix of are on the list of possible pollinators?!?

wordwiz
Green Thumb

I have no clue except I know how to use Google! I suggest you try it, not because I wish to sound snarky, but because there are some interesting answers that I really don't know what they mean. It is a triploid, whatever that is, but a couple of sites say it needs two pollinators, not one. One site suggested 'Cortland', 'McIntosh' and 'Yellow Delicious.'

Every site did agree on one thing: the Jonagold will not pollinate anything.

Good luck,

Mike

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi cfd683,

Re your Jonagold.
I'm afraid that it is a Triploid and as such cannot act as a pollinator.
It needs a pollinator for itself but cannot act as a pollinator to another.
The problem is they carry and extra set of chromosomes which makes devision impossible.
Its pollen is very weak and not very viable.
There are many such vars and will be marked with the letter 'T' in the literature that comes with the tree.
Most Triploid are vigorous in growth and usually tip bearers as well.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Sorry cfd.
Didn't quite finish off my reply as regards the Red Delicious that you have as well.
The Delicious is a super pollinator but it too will need pollination which the Jonagold cannot give.
If there are other apple trees in the area then it should be ok as it is a prolific variety....but if you are isolated from other apples then you need a further tree I'm afraid.
As a suggestion if you don't want another apple...plant a Malus...then you can be sure of pollination.

cfd683
Newly Registered

Just wanted to send a big Thanks! I appreciate all the responses as they were very helpful. I am including a link to a site that I found very helpful also... Hope this helps someone else!!!

https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G6001

Return to “Apple Topics”