yuri_wildcat
Newly Registered

How can I make a garden when all my backyard is concrete?

Right now, all of my plants are in pots. But I want to plant thinks that don't do well in pots - like watermelon and corn, etc. Is there a way to build something to plant my garden in? Like a box of some sort?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can garden right on top of the concrete. Just lay down some paper or cardboard (I would personally negate this step but... it's up to you) then, put some really nice soil combined with a bunch of green matter and leaves on top of the paper (or concrete if you choose to negate the paper step). You can plant directly into the soil and grow a wonderful garden. There is also the possibility of building raised beds in the same manner.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

George Schenk just wrote a book on Gardening on Hard Surfaces ( I loved his moss book).

Don't forget container gardening; I love it cuz you get to add pot colors to the pallete...check out the articles on containers here on the site...

HG

fredw10
Newly Registered

Check out Straw Bale Gardening on the web.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Fred...I will...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just potted up about 5 tomatoe plants this past weekend. To do this, just do the same as for planting tomatoes in the earth. Strip all the leaves off the stem except the top leaves and bury the plant in the soil. You may wish to add some manure or Kelp meal to the hole first. A 5 foot stake should be sufficient for a pot. Those wire cages are not recommended becuse the plants will often outgrow the tomatoe plants.
Another nifty idea that I tried last year was to plant my tomatoes in hanging baskets. Worked like a charm. And it looks nice as well! 8)

Marge
Cool Member

You could also take the courtyard garden route and use plenty of pots with flowers, herbs, veggies, even strawberries (if it is a sunny spot). All you need are some pots (can be anything as long as there is a drainage hole in the bottom), compost, and some plants or seeds! :D

Two Suggestions for gardening on Concrete ~
Before placing any transplants bury a soaker hose just below the soil. The hoses come in different lengths. Buy one that will snake back and forth. Watering will be a critical consideration for this type garden in your climate. Since the water drips out of the hose you have less chance of soil washout. Most gardeners tend to stand outside with a hose for 15 minutes spraying water over the soil surface. You will want to make certain your soil is damp most of the way down.

I have noticed this season a new interlocking border system, Kind of like lego for gardeners. This might work well for the sides of your bed. It came in green and brown.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Another idea is to use "Plastic Lumber" I know that a company called Syntal makes and sells the stuff here in Victoria. An old neighbour of mine has built several large planter boxes from the stuff and it works like a charm. Unlike wood, it does not rot or discolour.
If you look on the internet or in the phone book, I'm sure that you could find it where you live.
I would recomend using the plastic lumber combined with the lasagna gardening that I described above.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”