krzyk4
Cool Member

Fishy smell in my seed room

Good morning :) I have a mud room where I have been growing my seeds for the past month. Today, I smell something "fishy" in there. I haven't used anything but regular potting soil and water. The only thing different in the past couple days is that I've potted up some tomatoes into large disposable coffee cups. Any idea? I'm worried about opening the door to air it out because the cold might kill the plants :?

johnny123

Smell one of the cups. It may be them when they get wet for a long time.

krzyk4
Cool Member

It's faint, but with the 100 cups in there, that could be it! Do you think this will affect my plants?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

One question, did you poke holes in the cups?

Eric

johnny123

Probably not. I have had hundreds of tomato plants in large paper coffee cups over the years with no prpblems.

PS: Put a drain hole or two in the bottom of the cups and then put the cups in a plastic plant tray.

applestar
Mod

When I use 16 oz and larger tall drink cups, I poke holes (or make slits if the plastic cracks) in the sides of the cups as well as bottoms.

krzyk4
Cool Member

I thought I had poked holes and I went and double checked and what do you know, I forgot! Thanks you guys :D That will hopefully clear this up. They are kind of a styrofoam type cup, so I will bet that was the problem!

pickupguy07

Is it better to use styrophone or paper cups (forget the recycling part for now)
Just curious if there were any harmful effects from the styrofoam... or if the wax on the paper cups might have any ill effecst for the plants

No doubt the paper cups would be easier to remove the plants from when time to move outdoors..??

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”