martna
Newly Registered

Dividing Irises

I want to divide my irises and transplant the divisions in my front yard around a spruce tree.
When and how do it divide them?
Martina :) [/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hello Martna! Aren't irises incredible! I have many varieties all over my yard and marvel at them every time they bloom!

The best time to dig, divide, and transplant irises is in July and August. So right now! :)

Irises grow from thick, underground rhizomes. Carefully dig up the iris clumps and cut all leaves back to 1/3 their original height. Wash the soil from the rhizomes with water and cut them apart with a sharp knife. Each division should include a fan of leaves, a healthy, solid rhizome, and several roots. Discard the old, leafless rhizomes from the center of each clump, and all diseased and borer damaged rhizomes.

The best planting sites for irises are fertile, well-drained soils and full sun. In poor soils, add well-rotted manure or compost to the soil before planting.

To plant the irises, dig a hole large enough to hold the rhizome and roots. Build a mound in the center of the hole and place the rhizome on top of the mound and spread its roots in the surrounding trench. Then cover with soil. The rhizome should be just below the soil surface. Be careful not to plant it too deep as it will not bloom for you. Then water each plant thoroughly.

To get a good flower display, plant 3 or more rhizomes of one variety in a group. Space the rhizomes about a foot apart, pointing each fan of leaves away from the others.
The transplanted irises will bloom sparsely the first year. They should be in full bloom in their second and third years.
Good luck and enjoy their beautiful blooms! :wink:
VAL

martna
Newly Registered

Thanks so much Val! I am going to print this out after work and then try to get them transplanted this coming weekend.
Martina

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Wonderful Martna! I always think of irises as the "poor man's orchids" - They are so beautiful. In the "language of flowers" the iris is the "messenger", and the three petals represent faith, wisdom and valour.

Have fun and look forward to a much larger display in years to come! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Love my Japanese iris and I've a few Germans too...easy and pretty...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

It's another flower my grandfather got me hooked on! I have siberian irises as well as about 25 different bearded iris varieties. I get so many rhizomes off them now, that I am actually supplying one of the local nurseries! And they are just so easy! :wink:
VAL
Last edited by grandpasrose on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martna
Newly Registered

:D

Thanks for the info everyone!
I am looking forward to doing this project.
The ones I have are bearded and bloom in yellow, white and lavender but I don't know what the name is.
Martina

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Best of luck Martina! Let us know how it goes! 8)
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Keep an eye out for the newer rebloomers, too. My only complaint with iris is the bloom time is so short; now there are several Germans like 'Immortality' , 'Victoria Falls', and 'Breakers' that give you more bang for the buck! 8)

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Have you gotten any of the rebloomers Scott? I've really been eying them up, but wasn't sure if it was too good to be true. The one I really think is gorgeous is "Mother Earth". What do you think of them? :wink:
VAL

Idivide them by using a knife to seperate the rhizomes dig a 5 incnch hole plant about 18 to 24 inches apart with the rhizomes slightly exposed plant thhem in sept to go around a tree do the same cut the foliage in a fan shape they will look nice around your in the spring as I have some aroud a old tire

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Martna,

This site might help you to id which iris you have.
https://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=104598&ran=174895

You should also find these helpful.
https://www.cooleysgardens.com/Culturin ... fault.aspx
https://www.napairis.com/division.html

Newt

Return to “Perennials”