User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Yellow Pear Tomato Seedlings...

One more question, then I'm done for a long time. I swear! :lol:

My yellow pear tomato seedlings are about an inch to an inch and a half tall, but they're already growing their 2nd set of true leaves. They're very tiny, yes, but there. Is it normal for them to start getting their true leaves at this small of height/girth? They are in 3inch pots and have plenty of room to grow, so should not be rootbound.

if they're on track for a normal seedling, about when should I begin harden them off and set them out? If they aren't tall/thick enough for setting out yet, or are extremely behind, what should I do for them to help them along? They aren't leggy at all and are doing well.

Also, I ran out of pots when planting the seeds original, and put two of them into one pot. They are both growing and doing well- when's a good time to seperate them into seperate pots, or can I keep them together?

Is there any extra care they will need, that's different from my regular red cherry variety that I'm used to growing? I've already found a thread that says a few things about them and warns that they're going to grow all over-- i think I'm doomed, as I only wanted 2 plants but ended up with 10 seedlings! augh!

Does anyone have a photo of one that's growing, so I know what to expect and where to put them in my garden...?

User avatar
digitS'
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 3512
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: ID/Wa! border

Well, I had so much trouble with Yellow Pear tomatoes splitting that after 4 seasons of trying, I gave up growing the variety. But, that doesn't have anything to do with your seedlings, SPierce.

I don't remember anything special about them when they were really small. Do they have tiny, tiny seed like Sungold? Actually, it sounds like they are doing okay. It is sure better that they are developing their true leaves at 1 1/2" rather than stretching up to 4" still on their seed leaves!

You could probably wait until about June 1st to set them out but there's probably nothing wrong with transplanting early, as long as they are hardened off properly and the weather conditions are good.

Probably, you have a long enuf growing season that you should have plenty of fruit before the season comes to an end. Yes, they do grow to be very large plants. You shouldn't feel like you have to fill your garden with them just because so many seeds came up. I mean, I once slipped a whole flat of plants into the backyard of someone I didn't even know :lol: !

Steve
edited to say: think about getting a little fertilizer to them. that might be a problem.
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

digitS' wrote:Well, I had so much trouble with Yellow Pear tomatoes splitting that after 4 seasons of trying, I gave up growing the variety. But, that doesn't have anything to do with your seedlings, SPierce.

I don't remember anything special about them when they were really small. Do they have tiny, tiny seed like Sungold? Actually, it sounds like they are doing okay. It is sure better that they are developing their true leaves at 1 1/2" rather than stretching up to 4" still on their seed leaves!

You could probably wait until about June 1st to set them out but there's probably nothing wrong with transplanting early, as long as they are hardened off properly and the weather conditions are good.

Probably, you have a long enuf growing season that you should have plenty of fruit before the season comes to an end. Yes, they do grow to be very large plants. You shouldn't feel like you have to fill your garden with them just because so many seeds came up. I mean, I once slipped a whole flat of plants into the backyard of someone I didn't even know :lol: !

Steve
edited to say: think about getting a little fertilizer to them. that might be a problem.
Thank you :D I don't have fertilizer, but I have given them plenty of compost which will hopefully help to feed them! I would be interested, also, to hear about the problems you've run into with them, or any IDs you've been able to make.

and I'm already giving seedlings away, i think i got myself down to, maybe 5? :D I have 3 large 5 gallon buckets, i might plant the extras in there and watch to see what they do. They do have VERY small seeds, though. I put them into the soil pots with a small flat spreader, as my fingers couldn't lift them...

User avatar
digitS'
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 3512
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: ID/Wa! border

DW loves them and since I love DW . . .

The only problem probably had entirely to do, first with a semi-arid climate with humidity down below 20% on most any summer afternoon. Secondly, with the use of overhead sprinklers in the vegetable garden.

The fruit would split. Off 4 plants during the final year - I am sure I didn't harvest enuf unsplit Yellow Pears to fill a hat.

Steve
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

digitS' wrote:DW loves them and since I love DW . . .

The only problem probably had entirely to do, first with a semi-arid climate with humidity down below 20% on most any summer afternoon. Secondly, with the use of overhead sprinklers in the vegetable garden.

The fruit would split. Off 4 plants during the final year - I am sure I didn't harvest enuf unsplit Yellow Pears to fill a hat.

Steve
Gotcha :D

And so overhead sprinkling is a bad idea? I had been using a garden hose from the house, or a watering can. Sad to hear you had a rough time with yours. I don't know what the heck I'm doing to do with mine; I have 12 seedlings and I only need 3 or 4 to plant. I just don't have the heart to let them die, and i don't know enough people to give them too. I think I'm going to be tired of tomatoes by the end of the season :x

speedster7926
Senior Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 3:10 am
Location: southport FL

my plants are now 3.5 feet tall after 1 month and 1 week and have tons of green ones about the size of a fig but no color yet but this is my first year planting them good luck
Thanks for all the help and advice Daniel G.

User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

speedster7926 wrote:my plants are now 3.5 feet tall after 1 month and 1 week and have tons of green ones about the size of a fig but no color yet but this is my first year planting them good luck
Ah! Sadly, I'm a bit behind that still. They're getting their 2nd/3rd sets of leaves. Are they outside in the garden already? it's still a bit too cold to plant mine out ;D

User avatar
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 25303
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: TN/GA 7b

but speedster is in FLORIDA, of course they are ahead of you!!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

rainbowgardener wrote:but speedster is in FLORIDA, of course they are ahead of you!!
I'm still jealous. I want tomatoes already, too :D

speedster7926
Senior Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 3:10 am
Location: southport FL

mine have been out since last week in march i bought at wal-mart as plants already i want seeds though but its been 70+ here since prob 2nd week in feb
Thanks for all the help and advice Daniel G.

User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Well, I suppose all I can do is plant them and find out what happens ;D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”