loveroroses
Newly Registered

New to Mini Roses - bugs / moss

Hello All!

I just love mini roses. :D I purchased 3 plants a few weeks ago and now have matching mini-fly-type-bugs in and around the plants as well as green 'moss' growing on the top of the soil. :(

The roses are potted and they've miraculously survived transplant into larger pots and a stick fertilizer after purchase! 8) I'm in :shock: as the plants usually die on me at this point, so I'm very :D to be one step further than past few attempts at growing them!

Anyway, the magnificent trio sit on a ledge inside the sun room. The plants are dark green in color and buds are about to bloom. (Oh, that reminds me, a few buds have dried up recently- is this normal?)

:?: My main concerns are; How do I get rid of the bugs & moss? (with & w/out chemicals)

Thanks a million in advance and I hope you have a Blooming Beautiful day :!:

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Loveroroses,

I suspect the bugs you have are fungal gnats. They are attracted to moist soil. The moss is coming from too much moisture as well. Moss tends to grow where there is shade, acid soil and moisture. Most potting soil is peat moss based and peat moss is acid. The dried up buds are probably from too much moisture as well.

I suggest you gently remove the moss on top of the soil and replace with fresh potting soil. Not too much so you don't raise the level of the soil in the pot. Water only when the top couple of inches of soil is dry. You can stick your finger into the soil up to the second knuckle.

Here's info on fungal gnats.
https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r280300811.html

Newt

loveroroses
Newly Registered

Newt, thank you for the information and website. Both have helped enormously.

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are so very welcome! Glad that helped. :)

Newt

Return to “Rose Forum”