Justin088
Cool Member

Browning flowers on fukien

Why are the flowers on my Fukien turning brown?

Justin088
Cool Member

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/thefukien.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Best guess? Low humidity, if it's a Fukien Tea. Are you sure it's a Fukien Tea though? The leaves don't seem to be lobed or have pores and I don't recall mine ever throwing huge flower spikes like that.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

it's FT allright. I had it for a couple years until this winter they didn't make it through. It flowered for me all year round but the white flowers never lasted more than a couple days. They turn brown, dry up and drop. I find it hard to clean them off the soil surface. Maybe it is best I'm without it now =)

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Well, if you trim the flower spikes before it buds, you'll save the tree a lot of energy that can be redirected toward growth. Not a bad idea for Fukien Tea anyway since the flowers aren't particularly exciting (or fragrant, really).

Justin088
Cool Member

Do I clip the whole stem or just right behind the flower leaving the stem?

Justin088
Cool Member

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/photo.jpg[/img]

See the long running stems with the flowers on the end? I don't want to clip them cause I think it adds character lol

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

those stems dry up also, they won't turn into branches

Justin088
Cool Member

So clip the stems with the brown flowers? I'm sorry for the ignorance

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Justin088 wrote:So clip the stems with the brown flowers? I'm sorry for the ignorance
Its not ignorance. I just went through evry page of Paul Lesniewicz', Indoor Bonsai on the topic of how far back to prune flower buds on fukien tea. My copy had nary a word.

If I couldn't stir up an example of how its done by search, asking others is what is left to do.

Your inherent; its not broke, I won't fix it, is also a resonable first step to take awaiting a pending answer.

Your next job, will be to take a deep breath, while figuring out where there is enough shade for your fig to take its first step outdoors into...

FWIW figs shed their leaves for lesser reasons than going outdoors.

My TX ebony are sure it must be a tabascoan winter, out doors right now.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Fukien tea suffers if not given lots of light (full sun) & plenty of fresh moving air (circulation). Is yours suffering? Looks droopy. Do you have a good sheltered place where it won't scorch but still get good outdoor light?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Once the flowers have bloomed, there's not much point in cutting them unless it's to prevent seeding or for aesthetic reasons. I was talking more about pinching them off as they pop up.

Justin088
Cool Member

I do have a patio that he can stay in the shade. I'll move it out there and let him soak up a little atmosphere :lol: I'll let you guys know what happens.

Justin088
Cool Member

So I clipped the flower buds off my fukien and all I can say is WOW. The plants leaves are as green as they can be and I haven't lost a single leaf.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”