Avonnow
Green Thumb

Bok Choy Question

I have some Bok Choy that bolted, and it got these long stems with yellow flowers at the top, below the flowers on the long stem small little stems almost like tiny little seed pods have forms, they are about 1 - 1.5 inches long, I can seed the bumps inside that must be the seeds. My question - anyone know what I need to do to get these seeds, I took one of these little things off and when broken open (which was tough) little white glossy premature seeds were in there, does anyone know how long to wait to get them out, or anything about Bok Choy. I am not even sure I am spelling it right! :shock: Appreciate it. :D If I am totally wrong and those things aren't seeds - I guess I need even more help.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm assuming that the seed pods are green right now; true?

Give them a week or two. Observe them closely; my timing is for the Bay Area. As soon as they begin to change from green to tan, tie them off with seed-collecting bags of tulle or a finer net fabric. Rubber-bands or string will be fine for the "neck" of the bags. What you're trying to do is have the seeds fall into the bag, not onto the ground. :x to pick them up...

The pods will split lengthwise of their own accord if you let them be, and then you'll have nice, mature, dry seeds. Since you will have let them mature on the plant, they'll be ready to go (assuming it hasn't rained).

If it does rain while the seeds are in the drying-out pods or are falling into the bags, you will need to give them some drying time so they won't mold.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Or, if you are blessed with an arid climate and plenty of sunshine during the weeks the bok choy mature seed:

[img]https://i38.tinypic.com/mhdl5l.jpg[/img]

:)

Avonnow, there are quite a few ways that westerners have spelled the name of this Brassica rapa.

You are probably too young to remember when the Chinese capital city of Beijing was spelled "Peking" in English. I'm fairly sure that they are not only the same city but it's the same word, just with 2 attempts at getting us to say it right :wink: .

That's what I think is going on with pak choy and bok choy. And, then there's choi and choy.

Steve

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thanks so much, will do they are green. I am so happy to be able to save these seeds, I loved the Bok choy and want more. I am just afarid it may be too hot to grow any more. But if I have enough seeds - may be worth a try. Thanks

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, do save those seeds. With the price of seed what it is, it is a bonus if we can save our own seed. Those capsules will turn color and start to dry. If they get real dry they will split open and drop the seed. You want to pick it before it splits, then you can dry it a bit more and thresh it to remove the seed from the capsule. A good way to remove the chaff is to pour the seed from one bucket into another with a gentle breeze blowing.

Seed collecting bags sound great. I have never tried that trick.

SP8
Green Thumb

After mine had dried sufficiently I used to just rub a handful of the seed pods together between my hands, over a strainer, over a bucket and it did the job of quickly separating the chaff from the seeds very efficiently for small amounts

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”