DeborahL
Green Thumb

What are broccoli raab and sprouting broccoli?

They're mentioned in Johnny's catalog.
How do you prepare the raab for cooking? Why is it called raab?
Sprouting broccoli has me completely confused ! :?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, let me take a shot at this:

Broccoli raab is a Brassica rapa like mizuna, turnip, and bok choy. It is an Italian vegetable, and there are various names for the subgroup. Other Brassica rapa may be in the chinensis or pekinensis groups and there are others. You can sort them out on [url=https://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Brassica.html]the University of Melbourne's Sorting Brassica Names Index[/url] but it may take awhile ;).

Broccoli is one of the Brassica oleraceas. It is actually more closely related to cabbage than to broccoli raab. A sprouting broccoli is just a broccoli that makes a lot of buds along the stem and not much of a "head."

There are quite a few common names for broccoli raab and it might be a lot less confusing :roll: if it wasn't called "broccoli" at all! I think you might be happy with following a stir-fry recipe for it but I don't really know how this vegetable would be prepared in Italy.

Steve

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Other names for broccoli raab are broccoli rabe and rapini. Same plant, same seeds, same everything.

And it is GOOD. And it is a cool-weather veggie.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Thanks, Steve and Cynthia. Got it ! :D

megany

cynthia_h wrote:Other names for broccoli raab are broccoli rabe and rapini. Same plant, same seeds, same everything.

And it is GOOD. And it is a cool-weather veggie.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
This was super helpful, thanks Cynthia! I was just pondering today whether or not it would be worth adding Broccoli Raab to my list of things to plant late fall, in an attempt to keep them in a cold frame for part of the winter. Think I will!

ThomasCA

I grow broccoli raab (or friarielli as we call it in my home) yearly. Actually I pulled the last of it out of the garden about a week ago to make room for the eggplant.

It's very similar to broccoli, but has smaller shoots and large edible leaves. It's a bit more powerful in flavor though, and has nice peppery notes.

We prepare it regularly sauteed with hot chile pepper and garlic as a side, mix it with some spicy sausage for a main, stir it up with some spaghetti and oil for a snack, or bake it into a calzone type treat.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”