kathio22
Newly Registered

New to gardening, new to forum, Autumn Blaze

Hello everyone!! My name is Kathi, I live in South NJ, zone 6. My husband and I just built our first home on a 2 acre wooded lot. We cleared a large perimeter around our house to have gardens, a pool, and most likely a kid play zone for the future little ones.

Sooooo, I am really starting from scratch and am a complete newbie to both gardening and this forum. My questions right now is...

We want to line our driveway with Autumn Blaze Maples. How far apart should we plant these from one another, and when is it too cold of a temperature to plant them?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am sure to become an active member and learn from all of you - gardening is my newest and so far favorite hobby! :lol:

Kathi

Janet W

Autumn Blaze Maple, Acer x freemanii is a hybrid of Acer rubrum and saccharinum. Very fast growing tree, with a height and width of 50 x 40'. You will then plant them on 40' centres (one every 40'). These grow at a fairly fast rate of 3' or more every year. This makes them, like one of their parents (Acer Saccharinum), a hazard tree that is damaged easily in high winds and storms of such. I would caution against growing them near your house or play area for your children. Congratulations on your new homestead, I wish you all the joy that comes with designing and implementing your own landscaping. Happy gardening, Janet

kathio22
Newly Registered

Thank you, Janet!!

Janet W

You are very welcome Kathy. Welcome to the Forum, don't hesitate to ask, we like to answer. Janet

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great! Anybody else have any ideas?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”